Technical > Superchargers / G-Lader

Toothed belt kit vs Ribbed belt kit

(1/3) > >>

Fifress:
As the title says, I currently have the 5pk kit with a 61mm or less size pulley, not quite sure.
I have the possibility of buying a toothed belt kit, however, with a 55mm pulley...

How reliable will this be? And worth it?

Price is peanuts :P like we say here

I know i've been busting balls far too often lately, i do apologize eheh

kwijibo_coupe:
The toothed belts are better than the ribbed ones as the toothed ones allow no slip at all.
55mm pulley though, that will kill a G40 charger pretty quickly.

Fifress:

--- Quote from: kwijibo_coupe on January 14, 2017, 01:36:44 am ---The toothed belts are better than the ribbed ones as the toothed ones allow no slip at all.
55mm pulley though, that will kill a G40 charger pretty quickly.

--- End quote ---

That's what I feared, what sizes most people use? to max the performance out of the charger and still maintain some reliability

Jezza-7:
The majority of people use 65mm, myself included.

If i remember correctly someone did run 55mm pulley what was rebuilding it every 3k mile or so. The general guideline for servicing with a 65mm pulley is every 20k however, it can go longer depending on a few things. For one, i ran a standalone oil supply which actually allowed me to take my R1 charger to 25k miles before it needed a rebuild which is considered good. Also i do a lot of drag racing which was included in the use.

If i was going to run a 55mm i would have a spare standard supercharger and run that to see how it goes. The whine they make from 55mm is a lot more than a 65mm and sound good.

Fifress:
Great stuff!
Always good to get feedback like this.
The kit comes with a 55 pulley, but bartek offers a 60 or 65 pulley separately. So I might get it and then switch for the bigger pulley...
I'm changing the charger's belt and apex seals as soon as it arrives. Is this what you mean by rebuilding every x miles? Or are you talking about full rebuild? I've had my g40 for 4 years approx. and never did anything to the charger, went from stock to ribbed belt 65 mm kit, daily driven, occasionaly pushed it... Only now it feels somewhat weak and reads around .7 bar at higher revs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version