Author Topic: Stand alone oil supply..  (Read 4440 times)

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
Stand alone oil supply..
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
What oil do you guys use for the stand alone oil supply for the g40??

Also mine srun by a facet pump which makes a loud ticking noise.. should this just be when priming when starting or all the way through out while the car is running??

Cheers

Offline Gary

• Members
  • just one last thing....
Re: Stand alone oil supply..
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:04:39 pm »
Im sure mine was run by a facet pump aswell... been that long a can't remember lol!

I think the ticking was constant whilst the car was running, not sure on what oil you should use as above, its been that long!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:42:19 pm »
I use a Facet fuel pump too, it makes a ticking noise all the time it's on.  I mounted mine on a rubber base to lessen it but it's still quite loud.  It's coming off now anyway as no need for it with turbo.

You want to use pretty much the thinnest oil you can get.  Very thin fully synth or machine oil for compressors is what I used.  Thick oils will wear the pump out as it's only supposed to pump petrol. It's not an ideal pump for the job really but proper electric oil pumps cost in excess of £150.  Just make sure you have a pressure gauge connected to the charger outlet.

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »
Thank you very much for the info guys.. pressure guage? Can ya explain abit more on that mate and reason for it as i dont think i have one.. Oh k i thought it was just mine that ticked all th etime makes it sound proper loud loool

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:12:44 pm »
well it's important to keep an eye on the pressure to make sure the pump hasn't failed or something.  It's your only failsafe to stop the charger being wrecked if something goes wrong with your standalone supply. 

I'm about to put my entire kit up for sale which includes everything you need, including wiring, suitable gauge and everything.... I'll be putting it in the for sale section tomorrow, need to get some pics of it first, literally have just removed it from the car...

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:57:39 am »
Brilliant i would be interested in the guage and the wiring for it..

Cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:14:16 am »
well I think I might have already sold the whole thing, I'd rather sell it as a full kit than in pieces to be honest. 

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:54 am »
Oh k thats cool mate..

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:18:48 am »
sorry to hijack but hayesey is your pressure guage mounted in the engine bay or inside in view when driving?

if not mounted in side would you think it could be possible?

cheers

andy

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:12:33 pm »
inside the car on the dash board, would be a waste of time under the bonnet, you need to have it near your vision all the time really.

Make sure you use a mechanical gauge too with an oil line going right to it, electrical gauges are too slow to react to sudden pressure changes.  I used a fuel pressure gauge as normal oil pressure gauges have a much too high scale on them.  The stand alone sees pretty ow pressure at the charger outlet sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:14:08 pm by hayesey »

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »
hayesey could you point me in the correct direction so i dont buy the wrong one please?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »
in the right direction of what? A pressure gauge?  Just buy any mechanical fuel pressure gauge, any engine oil pressure gauge will read too high.