Author Topic: strange new find for on going missfire topic...  (Read 6035 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
strange new find for on going missfire topic...
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:20:13 pm »
Dk if your reading this this is why i rang you at stupid O'clock last night.

when i went to pick up my new alternator from andrew paige i asked them if they sold temperature sensors.  they did so i bought one..its black not the vag blue (defo not a gauge sender i asked and they showed me on screen) but it was only 8 quid so worth a try.  put it in the freezer for an hour plugged it in and started the car...no missfire (this would usually make the car missfire)... anyways..didnt want to loose coolant by putting it in the housing just yet so just left it under the bonnet so would be as cold as the other one in the engine...

this morning i plugged it into the loom and fired the car up...no missfire?  so it would seem its just a faulty sensor?  but ive tried a new vag one already a good while back and dan knight has..is it possible there are a bunch of faulty senders knocking about?  annoyingly its an aftermarket sensor thats working fine....thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:23:22 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: strange new find for on going missfire topic...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »
it wouldn't be the first time a brand new VAG coolant temp sensor was faulty, this is why I said to test the new sensor against the resistance values in my FAQ thread ages ago in your other thread.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:52:25 pm »
oh i know i did test it but got lost in all the numbers.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:03:35 pm »
fair enough, is it still working ok then?  Hopefully this will be the end of it!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:51 pm »
yep seems to be like aye...need to fit it properly i just havent had a second to do it..but plugging it in to the loom is working fine unlike before.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:57 am »
I claimed faulty sender on the phone too.

Do I get a prize?

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:13 pm »
no cos its not fully fixed...if i put a vag sender on..ive bought another and now have 3 it missfires...the aftermarket one doesnt miss fire but the car doesnt start straight away...  also the voltage on the battery is lower with a vag sender belwo 13V and is not with the aftermarket one??? weird?!  the car feels nicer with the vag sender too once the missfire clears....

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:01:28 am »
go steal some resistors from work and play around

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:41 am »
stuff like this makes me think it'd be better to remake the loom... as i'm not convinced its anything other than a shite loom!

Offline g40mark

• Members
  • More power
    • www.photoshop.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 03:19:48 pm »
Hi all. I have been reading the posts titled 'Rough Running'. My G developed this fault about 5 years ago, where I would start it up from cold and the car would be hunting, and over fuelling. After a minute it would start running perfectly.

After one year of trying to solve the issue, the car suddenly would not idle without staling, I had to use the throttle to keep it running, and had a massive flat spot. During that year I took it off the road and replaced everything ie - both fuel pumps, ignition barrel switch, 3 ECU's tested, distributer, knock sensor, injectors, engine etc....

The only exception being the engine loom (due to high cost), and Clifford alarm system which I bypassed. I did lay two 2nd hand looms to try and rule out the engine loom, unfortunatly this did not resolve the issue.

I managed to get the car running with the lamda probe disconnected and the CO/air temperature sensor set at 5.50 ohms - rich running. The car still started as badly, but it meant that I could use it. I noticed when i intinally footed it that the exhaust smoke from over fuelling (noticed when being followed by a car that had xenon's) was not consistent, but the car did not feel like it was surging. When I checked the ignition timing it was not steady it was advancing and retarding by 6 to 28 degrees.

After replacing the blue water sensor, lamda probe, ignition leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs, and coil. Some of which for the fourth time. The car ran fine for approx 2 months other than the continuing flat spot. Then without any reason I was back to square one.

I am really getting pissed off and was offered an Emerald K3 ECU for a very good price. I am currently in the process of building a new stock engine loom, as I suspect that the shielded cable has broken down due to age and the HT wires are scrambling the information being carried to the ECU. If I still do not get any joy I will have to try the emerald. I am also having a new Clifford fitted soon. 

During the last five years, I have consulted two G40 specalists neither of which could help. I have bought Snap On diagnostics machine, fuel pressure testing equipment, and VAG's engine workshop manual and pin data from Autodata specifically to try and find out what is wrong.

In June 2008 one of the charger belts snapped, wrapped itself around the crank pully, and cam belt cover. After working it's way down, got pulled into the cam belt, resulting in the cam belt snapping : ( The head was replaced with a BVH, port matched GT inlet manifold, port matched exhaust manifold, de-wedged throttle body, refurbished injectors, and an R1 charger rebuild with 65mm tooth belt conversion from Austria. The car was then live mapped at Jabba sport, and made 147 BHP on 95 ron fuel. At the G40 rolling road day later on in 08 the car made 137 BHP!?   

After engine loom has been tested I will report back, unless someone else has a breakthrough.

PS - I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »
The head was replaced with a BVH, port matched GT inlet manifold, port matched exhaust manifold, de-wedged throttle body, refurbished injectors, and an R1 charger rebuild with 65mm tooth belt conversion from Austria. The car was then live mapped at Jabba sport, and made 147 BHP on 95 ron fuel. At the G40 rolling road day later on in 08 the car made 137 BHP!?   

Sorry to hear about all the problems, if it was me i would have sold or scrapped it and bought another G!

From the spec you should be seeing 155-160bhp me thinks.