Author Topic: lowering g40  (Read 4725 times)

Offline devojunior

• Members
lowering g40
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
ni im wanting to lower my g40 but have never done it before  i want a 40mm drop no more so what is a average set of springs and shock and are they a simple swap over cheers.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: lowering g40
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:20:30 pm »
Like most things, this really depends on how much you want to spend.
Koni adjustable gas dampers and Eibach 40mm lowering springs are supposed to be a superb ride/handling compromise, but they're not cheap.
Speak to Phil J on here, he can sell you virtually anything suspension related at a sensible price.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:17:21 pm »
I had a look at those Koni`s on the Venom motor sport site and they do the same for standard coupe`s as well wich i`m interested in coz i like the ride height as i want to carry toolbox`s an stuff + the roads round here are completely naffed.
Its a big debate is suspension and if you consider 40mm lower than a standard Coupe then its 40mm.
put them on a G and that makes 65mm lower coz the G is already 25mm lower than standard
Coupe`s.
Assuming i`ve got that right.
Sure someone will put me right if not and it will be good to know coz i need new suspension as i have a broken spring on the rear.

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:41:26 pm »
Nearly right Fred!  ;)
A generic 40mm lowering kit fitted to a G40 will only lower it around 15mm over standard. Like you said a G40 is already 25mm lower than a normal Coupe.
If you're looking for a really good off the shelf suspension kit, the H&R Cup Kit is 60mm lower at the front with the option of 40 or 60 mm lower at the back by way of the spacer provided. So you can reckon on it being about 30mm or so lower than a standard old G40 setup.
It's certainly reckoned to be one of the best O.E. type "kits" available. It retains enough ground clearance to be useable, it's obviously firmer and remains much flatter through corners, yet it's still compliant enough for some comfort. 8)
Your broken rear spring isn't uncommon on these Polos Fred.
Hope this helps mate.
Cheers,
Richard.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:58:13 am »
Thanks Richard, Thats brill.
I was on msn live messenger with PeteG40 one night and i went thru it with him but i also asked the question with him and he agreed that 40mm lower made 65mm wich did seem excessive to me.
Its also possible that i missinterpreted him somewhere along the line but anyway that makes more sense of things and makes the H&R Cupkit more desirable than i first thought.
Many have recomended the H&R kit. Tav was one who i contacted as he had a set of 14" MK2 Golf 8valve wheels with Toyo proxy`s on fore sale and he said this setup makes for an excellant ride and he had said he`d carried 4 passengers as well as stuff in the boot.
Unfortunatly i missed the wheels as they sold but i`m still on the lookout for some.
People do seem to also praise the Koni`s with eibach springs wich gives a comfortable ride with the advantage of better cornering.
It would be nice if theres anybody that has had experiance of both systems to post.
I basically don`t want the underside of my car to close to the road.
I`ll get pricing them up now. Cheers Rich.
                                                        Fred.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »
i can vouch for the H&R cup kit...ive done around 45k with mine and its just had an MOT and it passed with no suspension issues whatsoever... the ride stills feels as good as it did when i fitted the kit too...  i use the car every day and although its 60/60 its still very drivable with a nice oem look about it.  i have a little bother with speed bumps at work but with care its no problem and anyway its just the cat brace which catches...  i fitted G lader seite anti roll bar mounts and bottom arm bushes, new g40 steering arms and vag top mounts and an under engine front chassis brace and im really happy with the handling...its by no means 'highly' modified but is far superior than standard and with some freshly set up standard brakes and good tires provides an enjoyable ride that also keeps the oem look that i like... H & R all day long...

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:00 pm »
where about can i buy a H&R Cup kit from?

cheers

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »
Speak to Phil on here.
Or you can check out the section he has on ClubPolo called Jackson Tuning. Lots of information available on there.

Offline TomG401991

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
i have fk/rk racing adjustable coilovers all round on mine there excelant and best thing is there adjustable so can have it exactly the hight you want and there not to bad priced either

check them out

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,725.0.html