Author Topic: club polo  (Read 4939 times)

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
club polo
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:05:21 pm »
Hey

Anyone noticed that you now have to be a piad member to access cars for sale, wanted etc on clubpolo.  Apparently its to stop scammers.  More like a way of generating revenue.  Although i suppose its on £5 per year.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: club polo
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:18:31 pm »
yeah ive been active on it, i think its crazy and not thought out

the change doesnt help anything, only causes more problems

ive given alot of constructive comments, so i just hope they get seen

not much else can be done really

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:39 pm »
i think they are just wanting to stop scammers.. but obviously if you're scamming £4000 then £5 is nothing, although it does add to traceability, address, paypal details etc.

pete

Offline cam_d

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:50:36 pm »
its a bit steep but it does have to be monitored, so i think its fair enough, just means more people will be posting things up on ebay i guess

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
i think they are just wanting to stop scammers.. but obviously if you're scamming £4000 then £5 is nothing, although it does add to traceability, address, paypal details etc.

pete

it doesnt add to traceability tho, how? paypal address, based on a fake address, easy, address, again, easily faked

this is the point im trying to get accross

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:22 pm »
looks like the abuse that has been given has made them rethink their stupid idea!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:04:50 am »
ha @ abuse

it does seem strange seeing you saying it, again showing my age with the polo scene, you were always the guy at the top of the stairs when it came to club polo

the days when things were fun and everyone got along

but hey its a busy forum, and problems come with that, i still think we have a cracking members base here now, its going just how we hoped!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:12:13 am »
Paypal to pay the £5 has to be linked to a bank account - and to open a bank account you have to prove address and give ID. There's the traceability I suppose - anyone selling that scams can therefore be traced by the police if necessary through paypal to a bank account.

It is a shame that people are getting scammed though, upsets the whole scene.  However after breaking the mk4 I'm amazed scammers got any money off anyone as its only by the 5th person saying 'i'll have this' that  I actually sell anything.  When people say they want something, i've started asking for their number to give them a ring to sort payment/delivery out- if they don't provide it then they aren't serious about buying.  In this day and age what makes people so scared about answering a phone and speaking to someone!!!!!!   I met some good guys through buying/selling stuff  - i bet I've sold to a good 50% off this forum and bought off lots of the others and meeting/chatting is half the fun of buying.

Rant over!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:45 am »
i see your point pete, but it is easily abused, as we have seen with nik hewitt and he freely cuts that out and gives you his bank account direct lol

ive said it over and over again but educate people with clear warnings, the scammers wont get anyone taking the bait, and move away...

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:20:23 pm »
I think only members should be aloud to sell items but none members can still buy!!!

why should none paying members be aloud to use the site to sell items? stop giving people a free service!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:22:23 pm by cheddarcheese »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 04:20:50 pm »
I think only members should be aloud to sell items but none members can still buy!!!

why should none paying members be aloud to use the site to sell items? stop giving people a free service!

X2

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:01 pm »
well i disagree really, its a free forum, as soon as you start giving special rights like that to paid members, it becomes a whole new ball game, i can see your point completely, but do it free, everyone is happy?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »
I don't think people should have to pay to either see or reply to for sale adverts. 

Club polo never did it to make money, they did it to try and stop scammers from ripping innocent people off which is becoming a common occurrence on that forum at the moment.  Making money was nothing to do with it. 

As some people on here know, I used to be involved with Club Polo admin so I know how much work it is running a forum of that size (nothing like running this one which is frankly, a holiday in comparison), any decisions made annoy hundreds of people no matter what is done purely because there are just so many people on there.  The admins don't always make the right choices but they are normal people giving up a few hours out of their working lives to try and make it work, not full time politicians with teams of researchers analysing what the thousands of members on there want.

Sorry for the rant but I don't like to see club polo being ruined by scammers and it annoys me even more when people blame the admin for the current state of affairs.  Long story short, if you can do better then offer your services because I know they are very short of active staff right now.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »
Agreed Mr Hayes. Its sad what has happened to Club Polo, I cant put my finger on when it started but it has been going downhill for a while now. It has always appealed to the younger crowd so you cant really blame it on that. It does annoy me when people keep banging on about the staff as if they are out to get, annoy, rip people off. They are the same as any other member except they have given up their time to help the forum out.

As for paying for it, the people who moan about paying £5 a YEAR, always seem to be the people who are constantly on there and use it the most.

Offline Richg40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
I remember back in the day when I paid my fiver, got my A5 mag, an unlaminated membership card and a bunch of discounts I never used. I used to be really into it, went to a couple of meets and shows but for some reason it lost it's appeal. I only use the place for 1 thing now, the marketplace so you can imagine I was abit peeved. You might say that i've got no right to be peeved because I haven't paid my subs but I don't care, simple as. Overall it seemed to be a progressive decline but I don't feel the patriotism I used to hence why i'm here.