Author Topic: Subframe set up  (Read 8230 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Subframe set up
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
Are there any recommended settings for doing the geometry on subframes? I set tracking to zero degrees which massively helped, wheelbase appears to be correct (3mm different one side to the other) but the car still pulls left/right, it feels as though all 4wheels are loose. I've obviously missed something somewhere or am setting it incorrectly? I've searched for guides but there's that much written about them it's a bit time consuming trawling through it all.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Subframe set up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:23 am »
Also set tyre pressures 34 on the front, 28 rear (195/45/14 rainstorm 2's). I'm not sure on wheel spec, will update later. Borbet 5 spokes....

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:36 am »
what's the camber & castor angles like?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:12:50 am »
I haven't checked them, gonna borrow some other gauges today and see. I've only got the front adjuster on mine, didn't get the lower arm upgrade. I've just realised I have none G40 bits (CL conversion) so perhaps the lower arm bushes are worn

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:50:48 am »
We always recommend a nylon outer bush and the G40 TCA with the frames. If it's second hand check also if there's play in the rose joints (details for replacements in our section on here)

Camber you'll have minimal scope to adjust with a standard top mount/tca, so once you've confirmed healthy bushes/rose joints, I'd set the castor (and toe again) and retest.

Check the OSF ARB mount is tight too  ;)

Offline dan182

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »
I have the same problem stage 2 frame

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:21:13 am »
Checked the points in my post above?

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
This is the same issue I have.. car won't go in a straight line underload. It's like it's a really windy day.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »
I never got round to doing anything as my insurance got messed up so took it OTR. Almost got 1NCB again so will be working on it in the coming weeks, will let you know my findings. Deffo need to do the arm bushes as I'm quite sure they're standard but think I have rose joints the other end. Literally not touched the car since about June! Cheers mate!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:18 pm »
Also - I'd suggest anyone running any significant reduction in ride height or coilovers with modified steering arms, that they check bumpsteer.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 04:41:44 am »
I've got tons of bumpsteer 😂

Safe in the knowledge if anyone steals it then they'll be 100yds down the road in the ditch!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 02:14:36 am »
Found some of the issue to my bumpsteer - all 4 alloys were bent! Nothing a refurb wont solve ;)

Anyway.... stage 3 frames - what's the easiest way to get them set up? Got camber adjustable top mounts too so no idea if that's gonna make it a complete ballache or not.