Author Topic: oil coolers and oil.  (Read 2784 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
oil coolers and oil.
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:21:49 pm »
Orite guys,  going to buy a g40 on monday after weeks of sorting out the money and arrangements.delighted to say the least.  anyway as soon as i get it am giving it a full service filters,belts,plugs and fluids.  i was just wondering what OIL  you would recomend (regardless of price), the car is tuned, reboured 1341cc, big valve head, fast road cam, toothies, gt inlet manifold, psd full blend and chipped.(cant wait to get ma hands on her)!Also i am planning fitting an oil cooler kit for obvious reasons and need to know how big a cooler would i fit into the front.  I was planning a 16 row-115mm depth?Any advice much appreciated.PS Pictures shortly.       

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: oil coolers and oil.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:27:19 pm »
any decent brand oil is fine to be honest, use 10w/40.  I've always just used whichever brand GSF sell, it was Quantum Synta Silver until recently when they've switched to Fuchs oils.  Just steer clear of really cheap nasty stuff.  I think my oil cooler is a 16row 115mm one, it might be 13 row though.  You don't need a huge one.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
cheers for that mate, i take it thats full synthetic?  On your oil cooler set up do you have a thermostatically controlled valve so the oil doesnt go to the cooler when cold or have you just got the sandwich plate and cooler?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:05:51 pm »
IMO, deffinately use a thermostatic sandwich plate.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:09:25 pm »
nah semi synth oil, fully synth is generally too thin. 

As breadman said, definitely use a thermostat or else it'll take forever for the oil to warm up and like those old castrol tv ads used to say, most engine wear occurs when the oil is cold!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:36 am »
spot on for that guys in the process of ordering it all up now.cheers.