Author Topic: plug off loom with coil take-off  (Read 5172 times)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
plug off loom with coil take-off
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:07:28 am »
Hi Gang,

I've got the plug marked up as COIL on the G40 engine loom, but what's the other one off the same spur?? (see picture below.)

Also, am I right in that the main 6mm power lead for the starter motor comes out around that point of the loom, (wrapped with a couple of other things - oil pressure sensors if memory serves from looking yesterday) and goes to the starter first then carries on around the sump to the Alternator?

Looking at the HAYNES manual and what I can see of the loom that's the deal but I'd like to be sure.

This one's probably a face-palm question, but there's the main M6 positive on the starter, the exciter (red/black) and another terminal too (so two male lucar type terminals as well as the main M6 power feed) - what's the second lucar for? Brain fade.

Thanks guys - nearly there now.....!

Rosco.

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
Re: plug off loom with coil take-off
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:23:46 pm »
As far as I remember the starter wiring is on the engine bay loom, not the engine loom. Should be a thick red wire and a thin blue wire that plugs into the loom coming from the alternator. The loom from the alternator should have the spade connector on it for the starter as well as the one that bolts to the starter positive feed and also the plug I mentioned.

As for the two plugs in the picture the one with the yellow tag is the coil and the other plug goes into the headlight loom. Usually sits on a bracket bolted to the coil.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:40 pm »
Ahh lights - that figures.

I'll have another look at the starter/alt wiring - still not quite getting it. As the old saying goes - it's me, not you!

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »
Hi Guys, need some help again please....

The above information is great, but on the loom in my car the headlamp wiring seems integral with the loom - there is no OE connector for a headlamp 'loom'.

Excuse the blurred picture - this is coming out of the loom where all the headlamp wiring comes out. The headlamps are already plugged in - so what is this for?

This plug is coming out of the fuel rail loom between injectors 2 & 3. What's it for? Where does it plug in?

Again, coming out of the same part of the loom as the plug before is this. Same question - what's it for / where does it plug in?

Sorry about all these questions. I'm putting a Mk2f CL loom with a G40 Engine loom into a Mk1. The manual doesnt tell you how to do that haha!

Thanks guys,

Ross.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »
First: thought that one connected the 2 looms together by the coil pack.

Second: Thought that attached to the ISV below the fuel rail

Third: That's the reverse sensor, attaches to the gearbox

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:02:01 pm »
second and third comments - awesome thanks, that makes sense.

first comment - in fairness, it's the same shape plug as the one coming off the coil spur, but one of the colours is different so I discounted it. Think the central red is green on the other one. Will double check tomorrow.

thanks for your help!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:27:24 pm »
Not worries, as Kwijibo says the green and red are both ends to the coil spur, central wire is a different colour but runs fine on my G.

But worth waiting on a third to verify, wouldn't want to be responsible for your beautiful motor going up in flames :)

P.s could the wires be different colours because only 1 piece of the loom is G40 specific?

Offline ereeiz

• Members

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:38 pm »
Hi guys, after much reading, searching & debate, after tinkering with my multimeter for a while I jury rigged them together - and now my fuel pump primes and the ECU has power! Other systems seem to work too (to my relief) and there have been no burning smells yet....

Thanks for your help.

But while I have your attention...... there is a blue/brown and a yellow wire at the back of the head. Both single female lucars terminal wires for sensors. There are also two tapping on the back of the head. Can you clear up for me what should be coming off those please? Oil pressure sensor I reckon, but what I'd the other wire for then? Obviously I'm using one as an oil feed for the turbo...

Cheers!

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:53 am »

But while I have your attention...... there is a blue/brown and a yellow wire at the back of the head. Both single female lucars terminal wires for sensors. There are also two tapping on the back of the head. Can you clear up for me what should be coming off those please? Oil pressure sensor I reckon, but what I'd the other wire for then? Obviously I'm using one as an oil feed for the turbo...

Cheers!

Single blue and yellow are oil pressure sensors, one fits into a tee piece that also feeds the charger oil supply.