Author Topic: Rear coolant pipe to block gasket  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Rear coolant pipe to block gasket
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:38 pm »
I am trying to find a gasket for the rear coolant pipe which bolts onto the block and water pump, its the pipe which has the ISV sitting on.

I can't seem to find it on ETKA as it comes up as a round o ring seal!

Does ECP or GSF sell them?

i would use gasket sealant but the surface of the pipe flange is not flat whatsoever!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Rear coolant pipe to block gasket
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:23:53 pm »
common issue - its from a mk2!!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »
yeah if you buy a new one then it'll be a mk2 gasket.  I just use hymolar on mine, I know you prefer to buy proper vag stuff though.  If it's not flat then the old gasket is probably still on there, scrape it off with a sharp chisel blade.  If both faces aren't flat you've got no chance of it sealing with a paper gasket.  I honestly think hymolar is better for it anyway.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:55:43 pm »
i have two bolt on type gasket ones in my glove box..about a quid each..ill get the part number tomorrow for you robin...mine is weeping very slightly so ive been to change it..

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:30:22 pm »
yeah if you buy a new one then it'll be a mk2 gasket.  I just use hymolar on mine, I know you prefer to buy proper vag stuff though.  If it's not flat then the old gasket is probably still on there, scrape it off with a sharp chisel blade.  If both faces aren't flat you've got no chance of it sealing with a paper gasket.  I honestly think hymolar is better for it anyway.

nah there is certainly no old gasket on it, i'll take the pipe to work and get them to face it off on a milling machine.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:35 pm »
I used two of the paper gaskets stuck together with sealant after the first one leaked on its own. Never leaked since.