Author Topic: DIY tracking equipment  (Read 3200 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
DIY tracking equipment
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:31:07 pm »
I seem to end up guessing the tracking on my car quite a lot.  I was doing this again last night using a long 2x1" plank of wood (across the face of the front wheel, make it point across the face of the rear wheel) and thought I could do with some actual kit for this.

I was initially thinking of making something involving lasers mounted to the rear wheels and mirrors on the front wheels but I did some googling and came across this:

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/trackace-laser-wheel-alignment-system-tracking-gauges-toe-in-out-tool-tracker.html

Has anyone got one of these or used one?  Is it any good or a waste of money?

I've used tracking gauges like that before at a garage but I suspect that one cost a fair bit more than this.

Offline pettsy

• Members
Re: DIY tracking equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:00 pm »
The place that sets my racecar up uses axle stands, a couple of aluminium tubes and string then they just measure from rim to the string.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:27:29 am »
I had one of those kits Paul and used it a few times which gave good results, you do really need a nice flat level floor though.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:11:07 am »
that's ok the floor in my garage is flat.  I guess you didn't have any problems with ground clearance on the polo with it then (since it looks like the laser needs to pass under the car)?