Author Topic: The winter refit  (Read 11850 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
The winter refit
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:03 am »
I last drove my G at the PPC trackday right at the end of november:

Had a great time but three things were apparent at the end of it:

- the worn bottom end used a fair bit of oil
- since the addition of a subframe (and hence loss of front antiroll bar), there was too much front end roll as can be seen here:

- the chassis setup with subframe and LSD can handle more power (est. at between 150-160 at the time), I didn't feel like it was pushing it.  More straight line speed required!

So, the day after getting home from the track day I started stripping the front end down to remove the engine. 

The plans were/are:

- rebuild spare 1272cc bottom end with new rings and measure everything up to make sure it is good.
- sell the g-lader and related bits and fit a K03 turbo and plan to run somewhere between 18 and 20 psi.
- make some coilovers with stiffer springs.
- loads of other little bits

So the engine has been out a while now (crap mobile phone picture):

The new bottom end is pretty much ready to go back in.  I'm currently waiting for a big valve head which is in progress at the moment.  I have pretty much all the turbo bits I need.  Hoping to have it done in early feb.

So far only have pictures of the coilovers, more pictures of things to follow:

I cut off the steering arms and re-welded them back on 25mm lower down to try to keep the steering arm angle straighter.  This took a hell of a lot of time with a dremel cutting through the welds.  Then welded threaded coilover tubes onto the top.  Quite happy with how they've come out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:34:05 am by hayesey »

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
Re: The winter refit
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:15:30 pm »
i thought that the subframe was made so you dont need the anti roll bar??? how are you planning to sort the roll out ?? just interested

steven

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:00 pm »
Good work Paul. I'm not sure i would have taken off the front panel. Are you getting the engine bay resprayed ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:49:23 pm »
poloeaton: yes it does remove the front anti roll bar but then you get more roll but this can be fixed with stiffer springs.  Coilovers are ideal because it's easy to get springs to whatever poundage you want.  I'm using 8" 225lb springs.

dan: I put a new front panel on it when it was off the road a couple of years ago, I riveted it on so I could easily remove it again in the future for things like this!  Takes all of two minutes to remove it really, drill out some rivets and it pulls off.  I have painted most of the engine yeah, just brush painted it with good old POR15.

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
looks good dude!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:54 am »
bit more things done over the last week or so.

turbo oil drain welded to sump:

bottom end refreshed:

bottom end and gearbox in car:

just waiting to get my big valve head now but am having trouble getting the courier to collect it because of the snow!

Then this weekends work came to a sudden halt when I managed to break my vice in half stopping me from putting the passenger side colover together ready for fitment.  Was too late to go to machine mart when it happened too:

Work will resume when my new vice arrives!  Although in the meantime I'll probably put the front panel etc.. onto the car.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:57:12 pm »
finally got some photos of the big valve head which I got back last week:

I love the attention to detail around the spark plug hole even.

relieved tappit surrounds just in case I ever fit a cam with high enough lift to require this.

Seems a shame to put this on a car engine where it's going to get all manky  :D

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:28 am »
Yummy...

Love the forsight to have cutouts for mental cam in the future!

Quality looks spot on too.

Sorry if you've said before but who did the work?

Offline john g40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:54:21 pm »
nice job.if you sell your g lader what money you ask?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »
John : I sold the g-lader a while ago, sorry.

varley: it was done by "man in the shed" from club gti. 

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103405&page=18&highlight=man+shed

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
few more bits done this weekend, crappy phone pics only though:

made new timing marks on the bottom pulley using a dial gauge (just saves bothering to get a non-g40 timing belt cover really, plus makes sure I know they are accurate!):

then put the head on minus a camshaft for the moment. Put the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe on so I could check for clearance to fit the intercooler and radiator.  (Starting to look the business now)

made a mounting bar for my "new" intercooler using 1 inch box section as I've got loads of it in my garage.  Trial fit on the bench:

and then fitted to the car and also made and fitted brackets for the upper intercooler mountings:

Next thing is to determine where the radiator is going to fit and weld some mounting lugs to my new bottom bar for it to sit in.  Also weld some mountings on the bar for my fourth engine mount to fix to (this mounted to the old radiator bottom bar I made when I had my smaller intercooler fitted).

The turbo downpipe is a satisfyingly good fit for an ebay copy, it's pretty close to one of the CV boots though because it wont move much away from it because it then starts to foul the subframe front bar.  Will just have to make sure to use a decent amount of good quality heat wrap.  Will see how it goes, may eventually have to dent the downpipe and put the metal heatsheild over the cv boot again.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 12:35:36 am »
Hayesey do you run a 1272cc with stock pistons?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:23 am »
yes that's what I'll be running.  Bottom end is standard just with new piston rings and rehoned bores.

Offline GTG40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »
alright mate

Where did you get your oil drain from for the turbo back to sump?
As i'm after one of these

thanks
steven

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:12 am »
I bought it second hand with the manifold and some other bits.  I think it came from Pitstop originally.

Any hydraulic pipe place will be able to make you one up.  I can measure the length of it if you want?  The ends are JIC-10 female fittings, one is straight and one is a 90-deg fitting.  In my case it's made from stainless braided hose but it doesn't need to be, just normal oil/hyraulic pipe will be fine.