Author Topic: Steering rack centering & offset travel  (Read 3149 times)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
Steering rack centering & offset travel
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of an issue setting up my Mk2f GT rack in my mk1. It all fitted straight up fine. My understanding is that the RH steering arm is a fixed length and has a kick in it to avoid the bottom of the servo and the damper, and the LH arm is adjustable both ends.

When hubs point dead ahead (I haven't tracked it up - just by eye) I have a lot less steering angle going towards the right than the left, where it turns so far it nearly turns the CV joints out of the cage! So it's like the rack needs another turn to the left to be central but with the fixed arm on the RH side, the wheels wouldn't be straight!

I thought that roughly speaking Mk1 to Mk2f the setup & geometry is the same, so what's going on? Are mk1 steering arms different?

I've disconnected the damper and that made little difference (slightly more travel to the right but not a deal.)

It's a dead stop - not just feeling of more resistance. As far as I can see, there is only one position the rack can sit in.

I'm a bit lost. Any help / thoughts appreciated.

Ross.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Steering rack centering & offset travel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:43 pm »
Which bracket have you got attached to the rack (Mk1 or Mk3?)

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
Are you using new arms?

I once bought a new arm from a motor factors that was a good inch or so longer than the one I took off. Turns out there are 2 different sizes of steering arm for the offside. What the longer one is for escapes me now though.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »
Ahh - Mk1 arms, Mk2f bracket on the end of the rack, as out of the box it has the damper clevis....

Guess they differ and I need either a Mk1 bracket or more easily Mk2f arms?