Author Topic: Tyre chooses which are best?  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Merrick

• Members
Tyre chooses which are best?
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
Need to get a whole new set of tyres and not finding it very easy if I'm honest. I'm after 2 175/50/13 and 2 195/45/13. Anyone got any recommendations? I've tried the yoko a539's before but did get a lot of wheel spin this could have been because they were a few years old. I've noticed that maxxis do 175/50/13 called maz1 has anyone ever used them? Or know of any decent tyres?? All help welcome!!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Tyre chooses which are best?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:35 am »
just for road use or some track too?

People seem to either love a539s or hate them, I love them myself but I'm not going to try to convince you if you don't like them!  But if they were old ones that have been sat about then they could have gone off, this will happen to any tyre.

Is the car a daily driver?  If so then I'd be wanting something that is a good all round tyre, not just decent in the dry, warm conditions.  Something like a Goodyear Eagle or Michelin Pilot.  Those seem like some pretty odd sizes though (which will limit your choice).

I'd just go on mytyres.net, put in your size, select "all brands" and then see what comes in your budget.  I do tend to think that you get what you pay for with tyres.  Stay clear of weird makes you've never heard of as they'll be cheap chinese tyres.  They are good at putting funky tread patterns on them so they look like a good tyre but they are awful.  "Dark Horse" is about the funniest chinese make I've come across.

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:17 am »
It would be just for road use so yeah all weathers (except for snow) :-)
The yoko's I had definitely felt harder than new ones, so I'd say they were past their best.
Another thing I noticed with the yoko's is that there was about an inch less contact patch with the road compared to the conti's from the same size tyres as well???

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »
A539s need heat into them to work in the wet - which is hard to do sensibly/legally on the road in a light car. I'm a fan, but then I don't use them on a daily driver.

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »
Thanks for the input! Really struggling to get hold of 195/45/13 in any brand!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:53 pm »
thats a really weird sounding size, how come you want that?  13" tyres are usually thinner than 195.

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »
I've got 195/45R13 Dunlop's on my wheels in the attic. Don't know if they are still being sold, since these are a couple of years old as well.

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
There on a set of 8j Schmidt's.

You say dunlops? What model are they?

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, I don't know if it is still relevant, but I thought it was Dunlop SP Sport, I've got a picture, but I can't really tell.

This is also on an 8J wheel:

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 02:12:01 am »
It says "Dunlop SP Sport 9000     195/45 R13 75v"