Author Topic: Where to brace your turbo?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Where to brace your turbo?
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »
My manifold has been developing cracks, most likely due to the weight of the turbo and downpipe. I got them TIG welded up properly, but to prevent it happening again, I was wondering where you guys might brace to?

I was thinking, there are two holes in the gearbox housing you could bolt an inch wide bit of 1/8" or 1/4" plate to each, and weld the other end of each plate to the same place on the downpipe where it curves round to the flange?

In the picture above, you can see I fitted 2 longer exhaust manifold studs and put 2 nuts on. Was thinking of bolting a bit of plate here and somehow bracing to where the downpipe bolts onto the turbo?

Any suggestions? There's not many places to bolt to. You could weld bits everywhere, but then what a nightmare when you need to change the turbo or gaskets etc.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:02:45 pm by AdzCM »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Where to brace your turbo?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »
I would be tempted (if possible) to brace from the gearbox to the exhaust housing, the manifold studs aren't the beefiset of things, as you're already hanging the turbo assembely off them.

Also make sure the exhaust has something to hang off under the inlet manifold if possible  :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:44 pm »
Robin is selling his cast one on ebay dude if you are interested?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:04:04 pm »
Inspiration:

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:32:27 pm »
Is your downpipe fouling on the engine block and bellhousing?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:42 pm »
Hey guys, only noticed the replies as there weren't any for a while.

This is what a guy at an engineering company came up with. Its TIG welded and seems to be very supportive. Its enough to take the weight of the turbo/exhaust off the manifold. Couldn't think where else to brace from. Not the prettiest but its not the worst. Im just caring about function over form here lol.

Pete, I do have it supported under the inlet manifold too.

Andy, its very close but its not fouling on anything.

Another problem with these manifolds is that the steel flange [where it bolts to the head] tends to bow. Had to get it skimmed yesterday as it was blowing out both sides. New gaskets are coming tomorrow so hopefully this is the end of my exhaust manifold woes.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:32:08 pm by AdzCM »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »
Is that a rothe manifold thats cracked? I check mine but all it seems to do is undo the manifold bolts and then it blows like a bitch

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:52:19 pm »
Is that a rothe manifold thats cracked? I check mine but all it seems to do is undo the manifold bolts and then it blows like a bitch

Rothe one is cast, that's a fabricated one.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09:37 am »
This mod has been perfect so far. The brace takes all the weight, so all the manifold bolts (I replaced the studs with bolts. Easier to remove the manifold) are just there to secure the manifold in place. They take zero weight. The car has never been so quiet :) highly recommended!

Adrian