Author Topic: number plate  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Adampolog40

• Members
number plate
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:32 am »
think ive missed a trick with my number plate on my g40 "K996 NGA" had a few people say that it could well be worth a bit of money as 996 is the internal designation for the Porsche 911 (1999 to 2004) and the second part you can work out. I looked into selling it but like everything where money could be made there is a catch I found out the car has to have mot and tax as the car has been sorn for 6 years it would seem I cant now sell it. I know a guy who does mot's a very good friend but as the engine isn't even in the car think this would be a bit illegal!!

not sure how it works but the shell is up for sale does the number plate go with it probably does but as I said not sure how it works never sold just a shell!

surely if the plates worth a good amout the shell is worth more?

any advise would be good

plates with "NGA" and ones with "996" ive seen for £1000 plus   

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: number plate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:53:33 am »
Plate stays with the shell.

It's not uncommon for cars that only exist on paper to end up with an MOT and get taxed just to transfer a plate. I believe that there used to be a chance that DVLA may ask to inspect the vehicle to check that it really exists, but I've never heard of this actually happening.

Also bear in mind that the private plate retailers often advertise artificially high prices on quite ordinary plates, so your chances of getting a grand for the plate are limited. I'd have thought you might get a few hundred quid in your pocket if you're lucky (don't forget transfer fees etc.) - so is it worth the risk on getting a hooky MOT or whatever?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:55:34 am by Andy »

Offline Adampolog40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:44 pm »
Yeah fair dos if it was easier I would look into a bit more as for chance of inspection don't really wanna open up a can of worms for myself!!! And price of plates the old saying if it looks too good to be true and all that jazz but as for a few hundred quid gotta be some added value to the shell what's a plate transfer cost can't be a great deal surly!?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:02 am »
It's about £80 to get a no plate held on retention per yr (you pay DVLA for the "privilege" of not reassigning it). The no plate companies that sell them generally will offer you half from my experience. I've never sold one but offered a few for sale just out of curiosity. I had J2AOS or something similar, offered me £400 and advertised it at £800, they cover all fees, organise you a new plate (an unassigned plate from the same year). All you need to do is offer it for sale and if  someone wants it, they contact the company, the company contacts you and sorts it all out. So, in theory you could advertise it as is, then if someone wants it, you can go get your MOT and tax, swap the plates, and it's cost you the price of tax and mot. Sometimes takes forever though, my brother had A141MAC and advertised it in about 2001, it was about 2007 before anyone contacted him (he'd sold the car 6 months after advertising the plate).

So, yeah, you may be lucky but don't expect it to be a quick sale, depends on the perceived value of it.

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:53:28 am »
Plate stays with the shell.

It's not uncommon for cars that only exist on paper to end up with an MOT and get taxed just to transfer a plate. I believe that there used to be a chance that DVLA may ask to inspect the vehicle to check that it really exists, but I've never heard of this actually happening.

Also bear in mind that the private plate retailers often advertise artificially high prices on quite ordinary plates, so your chances of getting a grand for the plate are limited. I'd have thought you might get a few hundred quid in your pocket if you're lucky (don't forget transfer fees etc.) - so is it worth the risk on getting a hooky MOT or whatever?

The DVLA visited me once when I wanted to transfer a transferable prefix from a car that didn't have any MOT/TAX the all they wanted to check was the VIN details  , The car was a bare shell sitting on its belly and had to have written confirmation from a garage as to why it had to be scrapped.  Slightly different situation , but they do visit.