Author Topic: lightened flywheels - where to get one from?  (Read 10749 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: lightened flywheels - where to get one from?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »
Steve used Julian Godfrey's for lightening and balancing PY flywheels, cranks etc.

Unlike Steve and PSD they have a very good reputation in motorsport and if your into your Fords you maywell have heard of them.

I had mine done a little while back, just dropped it in and it was done within a week even though they said it would probably be two weeks...Cant remember how much it cost but it wasnt too dear.

Hope this helps

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
Pete, to get everything dynamically balanced you need all rorating mass attached to the crank. So thats cam belt pulley, aux drive pulley on one side, then the flywheel and clutch on the other side (not sure if they just do the cover plate). Then you need the conrods and pistons to work out their weight (and ideally match them evenly) so you know how to to load the crank.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »
well vag probably didnt - but then they probably designed them uniformly enough to not need balancing, as clutches would be i dare say.  But skimming some metal off the back of a flywheel might upset its original balance....

Not saying it would if done uniformly, but it might.

When a flywheel is lightened, it is machined uniformly. It's not a case of drilling holes like on a crank's counter balance weights. This reduces the likelyhood of upsetting the balance.
However, a decent machine shop with modern equipment will be able to machine and balance parts to closer tolerances than VW did at the factory during mass production.
Ideally you would have the flywheel balanced after it's been lightened, but then ideally you'd have the whole rotating mass dynamically balanced. All depends how far you want to go.

Yeah Dan, the full balance is crank pulley, crankshaft, flywheel and clutch cover. The clutch plate doesn't get balanced. Weight matching pistons and rods is going into blueprint territory, good but expensive due to the time it takes.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:53 pm »
i went along to a engineerin shop. they do this at a charge of £50
he explained a little to me statin that he wouldn't be balacing it up because it has already been done my the manufacter.

also told me that in an example not g40 specific that if my flywheel were to be say.. 8kgs he would roughly be able to take it to 5kgs without takin to too far so that it would need a re balance and possibly weaken the structure of it.

^ this aint my words just quoting but sounds legit ? :^)

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:30 pm »
Using those figures that's over a 35% reduction in weight which seems a lot to me. Maybe he's right though, it's just I get a bit frightened when I think of exploding flywheels! :o

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:14 pm »
i really really dont know so i'd be lyin to agree
but i dont know wat psd take off g40 flywheels?
and wat does our one weigh standard?

he maby just makin examples haha ? but thats jst a figure that he quoted that stuck in my head

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »
I have a standard G flywheel and a "psd" l+b flywheel so i'll check the weight of both and post it up tomorrow eve if i get the chance..

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »
awesome thanks :)
maby it will give me an indication to advise the engineer on my specific flywheel..
i dont want him choppin out half the weight and tellin me he does it all the time on subaru's coz :| scary wobble wobble thud clutter bang = :@ angry terry

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:41 pm »
I have a standard G flywheel and a "psd" l+b flywheel so i'll check the weight of both and post it up tomorrow eve if i get the chance..

Yeah, that would be good to find out.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 10:14:52 am »
Well in my experiance of engineering i`d have thought that they would machine the part mentioned earlier in this post and this would possibly be done in a big lathe wich with a 4 jaw
indepedant chuck and what they call a wobbler wich would ensure that its running uniformley without wobbling like a warped disc (brake) to ensure a perfect grip in the chuck.
There are several machines capable and as i remember i`ve seen it done on verticle boring lathes as well.
I have to say that if you ballance a flywheel then its ballanced regardless of the crankshaft.
I`ve seen cranks being ballanced many times in the past and it was never done with the flywheel attatched.
Basically, if you have your crank lightened and ballanced then the flywheel as well, then the hole assembly is ballanced.
If you have just the flywheel done then it goes on the standard crank then it will behave as it did before.
Albeit of course that it will rev quicker as mentioned because of there being less mass to turn.
I think if i remember correctly that at least 1 bloke i knew (now retired) used to surface grind the clutch plate face 1st because of the wear/grooves incurd by the clutch plate.
Tho they wear mostly uniform due to being encased in the bell housing and mostly free of debris and shite like a brake disc.
I would of thought that there would be a modern engineer G40 owner on here who can shed some light on this and how exactly its done these days tho engineering basics are the same.
Modern machinary these days tends to have incredibly accurate measuring Vernia Technology
on board and the components come off the machine ballanced after machining.
Many of you will have seen the Bugatti Veyron engine block being Machined on a 5 axis CNC machine on youtube, out of a solid Alloy block.
How many engineer`s Jobs as that gobbled up.
Hi time we got one of those funded by lottery money for the club. LoL.
Regards, Fred.   

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 10:31:40 am »
haha yeah we'll have to sell a lot of tins of charger lube and toothed belts before we can buy a 5-axis CNC mill.  When that day happens we'll machine up some nice alloy blocks for g40s.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 10:37:50 am »
And some Lovely cylinder heads Paul.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 09:10:42 pm »
Unfortunately the scales i had in mind to weigh the flywheels werent man enough for the job so i'll post up the weights when i next go up my mates workshop....

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
Just under 1kg came off my fly wheel.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »
1kg is bugger all tho :^)