Author Topic: People running slimline fans  (Read 4743 times)

Offline RyanC

• Members
People running slimline fans
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:21:39 am »
I'm running a slimline fan on my turbo build.
You have the 3pin out of the fan switch for the 2 stage speed fan as standard but obviously slim line fans just have a power and earth.
Whats the best thing to do here?
Do I take to higher speed setting wire into a relay and just leave the low speed out? so it just cuts in at a stage 2 temp or use the low speed one? For a lower temp cut in? As its going to be relayed fan speed is going to be the same no matter what as it's just a 12v from the relay to the fan
I'm running a lower temp stat and fan switch
Stat opens at 71'C
Switch  stage 1: 80'C, stage 2 : 85'C
So I was thinking stage 2 as I don't want it cutting in every 5 mins even though its still will at 85 on a hot day
My other option is just running an adjustable fan controller set it to the temp I want it to cut in and run a manual switch as well
What are you guys doing with yours?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: People running slimline fans
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:02 am »
just run the fan using the low speed live and earth and leave the high speed 12v disconnected.  I'm not sure why you'd involve a relay, the wiring in the car is already good enough to run a 12v fan with.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:47 am »
So just use the stage 1 off the switch and leave stage 2 alone?
I was gonna run a relay so I could run it at 12v full speed on whatever stage I was going to choose but if you think it will be okay then I'll just run it straight of the stage 1 on the switch. I'm guessing it will just run at a bit of a lower speed?
Cheers for the reply

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:07:26 am »
Or am I getting confused.. It will always run at 12v to the fan but the 2 stage fan makes it slow and fast from the motor it self. I'll still get a 12v feed from the stage 1 setting? Just more current if I run a relay. Sorry confusing myself I get you know

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:27:48 pm »
it'll be 12v no matter what.  It wont make a difference to a fan with a single input.  You want it connected to stage 1 so it comes on at the right time. 

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
Spot on thanks mate, yeah sorry me being stupid ha
Cheers