Author Topic: Standard suspension setup  (Read 6635 times)

Offline deevub

• Members
Standard suspension setup
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:03:56 pm »
Any ideas on availability of a new standard suspension kit or as close to the standard spec as possible?

Had a look at GSF & Euro car parts, they only have the rear springs in.

All info appreciated.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Standard suspension setup
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:35:42 pm »
The front dampers are not inserts from the factory but the struts is filled with oil. Only way to get those would be from VW. I think the rears should be easy enough to get hold of. As for springs VW again, but I'd guess they'd be obsolete.

Offline deevub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
Hi Sam, thanks for the info

Any advice on aftermarket kits that could replicate the standard ride & height?

Have seen the TA technix, maybe to harsh a ride, or german ebay shock/spring kits - not looking to lower the car any more, just a fresh setup that is similar to stock. Height & ride adjustable coilovers are an option, but overkill in both ride quality & price perhaps?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:38 pm »
My stock dampers are getting a bit tired now and I will be replacing them with Konis and standard springs. Its a good setup for the road apparently but the Konis aren't cheap.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:26 am »
I'm going to switch to a Koni/Eibach combination for some ride comfort too - will incentivise us to work on a "Stage 4" frame with ARB if nothing else!

Anyone know where's best (cheapest?!) to get some Koni's from?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »
Someone lists them on German Ebay. The rears are on UK ebay for £200 the pair which seems to be about the going rate.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:19 pm »
I'd found the same - luckily I've already got some front Konis stashed away, and the Eibach springs are pretty cheap from memory.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:05 pm »
if you can get hold of some used/knacked ones - you can get them refurbed... might be an option

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:06 pm »
I remember running Koni rear shocks about 10 years ago and couldn't get over how good the ride was. I wish the PSD forum was still available to search, I posted tons of stuff on there. Does anyone have a copy/ backup of it? I can never find stuff I've remembered reading/ writing, come to the conclusion I must have done most of it on PSD. I also remember someone compiling a chart of dampers/ springs / setups with feedback on which were the best suited to road, and racing. Maybe one of the cup car / motorsport people?

Offline deevub

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:27 pm »
excellent cheers for the info

found this koni setup, seems ok for the price - any opinions?

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/249948/volkswagen/koni-suspension-kits-ssk/ssk238.html

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:24 pm »
Not too bad. Even if you don't use the springs thats just over £100 a corner which you struggle to get them for less than. I've managed to get some bargains off eBay over the years but they very rarely come up.

Another alternative is the Bilstein kits. I know a lot of the rado boys favour them for a bit of an upgrade over stock suspension, with a mind to a more comfortable road setup than rock hard cheapy kits.

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:24:11 am »
I have got a billy set of shocks on my mk2 and the ride quality if fantastic, though they are coupled with some KW 60/40 springs

I think they ride better than the koni & eibach setup i used to have on my derby, though that was nice and comfortable, just a little too soft in my opion

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 03:55:26 pm »
I have got a billy set of shocks on my mk2 and the ride quality if fantastic, though they are coupled with some KW 60/40 springs

I think they ride better than the koni & eibach setup i used to have on my derby, though that was nice and comfortable, just a little too soft in my opion

i can confirm this: lastwinter i installed 4 new B6 Bilstein + H&R kit (40/40)

Got that for around 550€ (450£?)on sandtler (german website)

Its a differend car now... (was driving stock before..) not to harsh, just right!

Offline deevub

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
Cheers for the info Jacque - had a look on Sandtler & this was the best deal I could see:

http://www.sandtler24.de/hundr/40815-1/cup-kit-komfortfahrwerk.html

seems to be the less harsh version of the cup kit? they have the 'Sportfahrwerk' which am guessing is the harsher kit.

comes to £282.28 delivered at current exchange rate.

same is available from demon tweeks for £397.37 delivered

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/suspension-kits/car/volkswagen/polo-81-94-g40/1991/1-3-supercharged-86c-g40/hr-comfort-suspension-kit-lowers-front-35mm-and-lowers-rear-35mm

same kit on ebay for £328.39 delivered

so for under £300 seems like a decent quality but comfortable standardish setup, any thoughts?