Author Topic: Charger Rebuild  (Read 6183 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Charger Rebuild
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:27 am »
Hi all,

When I bought my G40 I just assumed straight away it needed a charger rebuild as I don't have any proof that it's had one and it's done 130,000 miles now.

As a precaution I wasn't going to drive it until I had this done but am I being a bit OTT?  It is actually running really well but I'm not sure what the signs are that the charger needs a rebuild (if any?).  

I am going to get this done asap but I am close to getting it insured now and I'm not sure whether literally not driving it at all is the best thing to do.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Gemma

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:03 am »
you only know really when you crack them open and have a look!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:21:31 pm »
Is that difficult?  Silly question.  What would I be looking for when I open it up?

Direct me to another topic in here if this has been covered before.  I've noticed the one where people are discussing rebuilding the chargers themselves.

Thanks

Gemma
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:24:17 pm by jimbugalee »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
er, i was going to do a guide but haven't had time really.  I could run through it but its not so easy to explain in type.  Its not that difficult, but some experience etc is useful

At that mileage, its gonna need servicing to be honest. Best case scenario is that it you get it done and its fine for the next 30,000-40,000 miles.

Worst case is that its pretty worn inside and new charger time!!!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:31:59 pm »
It's definitely having a good service before I drive it and maybe I'll get the charger rebuilt asap too.

If you get a standard charger rebuild (say £380) if you want to then get the better one do you have to pay another £500 on top in say 6 months time or just another £200ish plus a bit of extra work?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing!

Gemma

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:44:54 pm »
no - i get you. When they port it - (£200 extra) then you normally have to have the oil seals taken out (as swarf can get under them) so i'd say an extra £100-120 ish if you get it done at a later date. (thats how pitstop used to do it i think) Although i have heard stories of jabbasport charging the full service price again.

So it works out cheaper to get the porting done at the same time as you get it serviced, if you want a ported one that is. Obviously theres double the shipping cost too.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:04 pm »
Thank you for explaining Pete.  Gives me something to think about.

Although I'd love it to be as quick as my old G40 I'd rather spend my money on getting everything else sorted as well then maybe come back to the charger.

I think G-Werks have an offer on charger rebuilds atm. Or not ..... I just checked and it's changed to remaps! typical lol

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charger Rebuild
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:27:09 pm »
well i'm ok as i like my g40s standard!! but i appreciate what your saying. Charger health is a key part in owning a g40!