Author Topic: Help needed H&R lowering kit  (Read 4639 times)

Offline cookie79

• Members
Help needed H&R lowering kit
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »
Can anyone shed a bit of light on what's gone wrong here (see photos) fitted a 35mm drop H&R lowering kit, the rear shock rods seem to poke up through into the boot far too much & on the front I've noticed the castle nuts have worked themselves slightly loose a couple of times & bare in mind it's a non runner & has only been pushed in/out the garage half a dozen times. Am I missing parts on the rear?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Help needed H&R lowering kit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:03 pm »
this is what you should have from vagcat

and the items numbered:

something doesn't look right, in your last pic it looks like its not even sitting straight at all. Mine H&R kit is coming off soon and i'll get some pics of it all. Wont be till next weekend though if you can't sort it out by then.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »
I think it looks like you are missing the washer (item 21 on the vagcat drawing) that sits on the top step of the damper rod, just visible in your 1st picture.
The lower top bush then sits on this washer, passes under the turret, then the upper top bush/washer/nut assembly tightens down on top of this.
At the front, have you correctly torqued the nuts with the weight of the car on the ground?

Offline cookie79

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:38:27 pm »
Thank you both for your help, that missing washer No21 is the problem for sure. Regarding the castle nuts on the front, I'm not sure what torque is needed on them? I grinded an old socket so it would fit the castle nuts & I grip the socket with a pair of mole grips whilst a Allen key goes down through the socket to stop the shock rod from rotating, the problem with this is that I can't tighten it that much before the grips slip, any suggestions on how to tighten them?
Cheers

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:22 pm »
I followed the haynes manual when i did mine and it was fine when tightening them up.

Have you got a copy?

Offline cookie79

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:00:04 pm »
I do have a copy, sounds like I ought to give it a read  :)

Offline UJA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
Best thing for the front shocks is a nut gun, should get them tight without the shock strut spinning.

Offline Ross36

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:20 pm »
Looks like the rear spring seat is upside down, that'll be why the spring is wonky...