Author Topic: g40 k03s exhaust manifold build  (Read 10001 times)

Offline lampik

• Members
g40 k03s exhaust manifold build
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »
Guys, i need HELP please,

i build a exhaust manifold , i feeted the k03s turbo and now i cant put water cooler,
can anyone explain me what should i change  in that construction ?...

this is an 86c from 1990 y. body so there is not so much place,

Matt

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: g40 k03s exhaust manifold build
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:31 pm »
wow.... really isnt any room! for starters it looks like a golf turbo set-up (4 stud exhaust mount) which may not help. id try using a normal K03 from a audi a4 1.8 as the outlet isnt as long. design of manifold doesnt help really either.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:43:33 pm »
Try searching on Google "polo g40 k03 manifold" and then select "pictures" it's the easiest way to visualize what you need to replicate and the k03 exhaust housing most people use for their built. It would take more time to explain it in words.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:47:50 pm »
for the turbo you have the only solution I see is try and angle it like this picture! This will definitely require you to rotate the cold side housing and reconstruct the exhaust manifold so that the outlet faces downwards.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:57:55 pm by GR40 »

Offline lampik

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:00:14 am »
thx. for reply guys , but there is no room for sush a mods,

please have a look on my other post , where i face colling with additional water pump k03s, no idea from where get the water i nlet and outlet , wnd where set in the pump...

im realy confused, please help..

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:07 am »
I don't think you need a water pump. Every turbo build I have seen just connects the inlet at the top radiator hose and the outlet at the expansion tank. The engine's water pump will flow water to the turbo.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:36:43 am by GR40 »

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 08:51:52 am »
This is how Rothe does it (manifold is upside down in the picture)

This is how Emtec does it

Offline lampik

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:48 pm »
I don't think you need a water pump. Every turbo build I have seen just connects the inlet at the top radiator hose and the outlet at the expansion tank. The engine's water pump will flow water to the turbo.

NO, on low engine RPM the mechanical pump won't push water , i tryed this method. ;(

so thats the reason i decide to install additional electrical circulation pump, and i think its an good idea.

Please correct me if im wrong ...

Offline lampik

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:13 pm »
here are my ideas, the second pic is true one.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:41 am »

NO, on low engine RPM the mechanical pump won't push water , i tryed this method. ;(

so thats the reason i decide to install additional electrical circulation pump, and i think its an good idea.

Please correct me if im wrong ...

You don't need high water flow on low rpm, your turbo is barely spinning. The water is there to help the turbo keep its temperatures steady on high rpm or under load. There is no need for high pressure flow of water when there is barely any gases flowing through the hot side to heat it up. All you need is constant oil flow. Plus if your water pump is not flowing water on low rpm, then you should probably check the pump or your pluming. I am starting to think you don't know how turbos work.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »

what do you mean you've tried it?  There's a few people on here (myself included) running K03 turbos connected to the water pipes like that with no electric pump and having no problems.  I don't see any issues with using an electric pump (other than how to know if it has stopped running), but it doesn't seem necessary.

I have mine connected to a t-piece in the top radiator hose to the top of the turbo and back to the overflow pipe on the header tank on the front of the turbo (return pipe).  I do have some photos that show it somewhere but I can't seem to find them.  I've been running this set up for about 8 years now, others have done it for longer.

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 08:51:48 am »
hayesey where did you buy the T-piece? Do you remember the size?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 10:11:54 am »
for the top radiator hose?  I made it myself.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 10:15:53 am »
oh I did find a picture of it: