Author Topic: G60 charger conversion information needed!!  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Merrick

• Members
G60 charger conversion information needed!!
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »
Hi guys I'm thinking of putting a g60 charger on the polo and just wondered if anyone could give me a definitive list of all the parts etc I will need. Would just like somemore power out of it. Also does anyone know what the thickness of the standard head gasket is? Thank in advance!!!

Offline marky-x5

• Members
  • If in doubt flat out
Re: G60 charger conversion information needed!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:46:59 am »
How far do you want to go?

you would get away with charger, charger bracket, 5/6plk belt conversion and then adjust the boost return so it doesn't close completely in order to keep your boost under 1 bar. One other thing I've discovered is you can't get of the shelf maps like the turbo conversion so it would require custom mapping with any additional mod.s as you do them. Or below is where im at so far

G60 Charger
Charger bracket
5/6pk belt conversion (I've read they don't to well to toothies)
Fmic + pipe work
250kpa map sensor
Gt inlet manifold
51mm throttle body
315cc injectors
Custom map
Camshaft (I went with Schrick 276)
Exhaust system inc manifold
Head will need porting to help flow all the exta air from the g60
Wideband afr is a must

Also unless you're handy with a welder you'll need a g60 rs outlet plus inlet adapters for air filter and boost return

Sure there's more but can't think what else right now, someone will be able to point out anything I've missed.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »
Whats the need of the 250kpa map sensor, if you are going to run max 1bar?

Offline marky-x5

• Members
  • If in doubt flat out
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 04:35:57 pm »
Im going to be running more than 1 bar on mine, I just suggested if all he wants to do is bolt on the g60 he will need to make sure its kept under 1 bar. Plus I would probably still do it if I was running 1 bar, better to be running safely rather than at the max.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »
You can run fine 1.1-1.15bar of boost with the stock 2bar map sensor with no issues (with a proper custom remap too)

Offline marky-x5

• Members
  • If in doubt flat out
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »
Cool, for some reason I thought anything above 1 bar and you start to loose resolution?

To be honest I'm still not entirely sure what my boost will be as I'm still in the process of assembling it all, I'm running a 70mm 5pk pulley, from what I've been able to find out that's going to be over 1 bar maybe as much as 1.5

Mark

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 11:00:44 am »
No. Stock map sensor does not read above 1 bar. When i tune a digi 1 ecu that it is not going to boost more than 1.15 bar of boost, i strongly recommend to stay with the stock one.

Its the opposite of what you're saying. Imagine of squeezing 0.5bar of extra MAP information into 16 points. The result is less resolution. 

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »

Can anyone say why toothies are not good option for g60 or why 5/6pk would be better option ?

Tks

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
surely the whole point of putting a g60 charger on is to go for 1.6 bar (or more!) of boost though?

If you're only going for 1 - 1.15 bar then yeah you can get away with the standard map sensor.  It wont read more than 1 bar relative pressure so it can only be mapped for 1 bar.  However you can get away with it by compensating the fuel and ignition at the higest point to still cope with a small amount more than 1 bar boost (by basically putting more fuel and winding back the ignition timing a touch than you normally would at the 1 bar points).

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »
I agree with Hayesey! In my experience people sticking a turbo, Eaton or G60-lader on the car are doing so because they're chasing more power - so just running 1.1 bar or whatever is pointless.

If running the stock MAP sensor I'd strongly recommend sticking to 15psi/1bar maximum for the reasons that Hayesey said - not to mention it keeps an aged and aging component within its tolerances! When the first flurry of Eaton and turbo-G40 activity kicked off in the UK there were a few people who killed stock MAP sensors by running them above 15psi regularly - think Greggggggggg and InsightG40's mate James were amongst them?