Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 212106 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #510 on: November 13, 2016, 07:25:25 pm »
Some minor bits finished off with the pedal box now, bias adjuster bracket welded on, and the brake & clutch fluid reservoir mounted.

Untitled by Peter Strange, on Flickr

Obviously the battery tray will no longer house the battery, but this will still act as the rain runoff to the inner wing, so three large holes would allow water in, I wasn't convinced standard grommets were up to the job, so got some IP68 rated cable glands:

These are obviously waterproof, and seal nicely around the fluid feeds to the master cylinders. I'll add a smear of silicone once it's painted to make sure my feet stay dry!

Next up was sorting the floor, and raising it up so my heels can rest on something.

Couple of sheets of ally cut to size:

Then covered in skateboard grip tape & button head fasteners:

Finished article with bias adjuster tucked in the corner of the cage, I can reach it from the drivers seat (just):

Some more heatshield has arrived to finish off the underside, and I can then crack on with the floor/splitter/skirts and diffuser... after that it's onto the engine bay.  :)

Cheers

Pete

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2016, 05:51:44 pm »
This is nothing short of amazing! Incredible work, Pete!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #512 on: November 20, 2016, 07:00:38 pm »
Cheers Stu  :)

Finished off the exhaust heatshield now, fairly happy with it and hopefully it keeps the cabin a little cooler, I'm still toying with the idea of wrapping the exhaust fully if the flat floor makes the tunnel too hot... Ceramic coating would be ideal, but it's fairly expensive for a full system.

Weird panoramic proportions...

I also collected two sets of Vento Challenge Coilovers, made by Bilstein. I'm currently trying to understand if the dampening is adjustable in any way - if anyone knows please get in touch  :)

Cheers

Pete

Offline pauloscooby

• Members
« Reply #513 on: November 20, 2016, 11:16:45 pm »
hi
Peter every time is better, this is very good, I am always waiting for new photos to see the evolution.

cheers
paulo

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #514 on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »
So next on the list of things to do was look at the rear axle- I plan on stepping up a slick size again, and had slight concerns about how floppy a standard Polo rear axle was.

Que some inspiration from works VW Golfs:

So, fire up the kettle and solidworks, a few days later some laser cut pieces arrived (I have spares if anyone wants) :

I also ordered some ERW tube and a few inserts from McGill Motorsport - good service and well priced rose joints:

So, onwards with welding things up, first up the base plate for everything to sit on:

Then tack up the 4 side plates (hole will become obvious later)

Mock-up of the centre mount:

I then tacked the insert and tube together:

Then a quick tack to the base plate, and mount the stub axle to make sure everything clears:

I then etch primed the inside of the turret, and welded them both on:

Same for the centre mount:

Then it was time to strip it back, clean, etch prime and assemble:

Holes obviously for the handbrake cables to pass through:

And finished with some rubbers over the rose joints and plastic finishers over the nuts:

So, that's some VAG parts bin raiding; Seat 2007 Stub Axles, Discs & Calipers, Lupo GTi Stub Axle spacers, Polo GT/G40 Axle, and Mk3 Golf Kit Car style toe bars.

All for now!

Cheers

Pete

What's the reason for the pyramids? Why not just weld it on the inside? It saves you more ground clearance for theflat floor. On the examples I can understand the pyramids, since there nothing to weld on, on the inside. Looking forward to your reaction.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2016, 07:08:08 am »
A few reasons, firstly for clearance from the rod end / bar, and more importantly to spread the load over a larger area.

I'm not sure the inside would be able to control camber change either, whereas this position should  control camber and toe change.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #516 on: December 07, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
Very cool Pete. Awesome fabrication work 👍🏻

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2016, 08:51:02 am »
Very nice work, something I'm also looking into at the moment

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »
Small update on what I've been tinkering with... I'm still working on the flat floor, so I'll wait until it's further along to update that, in the meantime I've finished the setup stands, and the setup wheels are in build currently.

Setup stands allow the car to sit on a perfectly level surface, so various different measurements of suspension geometry can be taken, irrespective of the surface below the car. My garage floor level isn't bad at all, but it's by no means perfect.

Usually these are used with setup wheels, ala:

They enable great access to adjustable suspension components, and really quick setup of string alignment systems, like this:

So, first up was the build of some suitable stands, I don't currently have a lift or a pit, so access under the car is important, I'll use these stands for other things too, so they're 500mm high :) Bit of a battle to get the car onto them, but I've got some plans for that later.

Broke out my CAD skills (which are basic!) and knocked this up:

That was translated into some dxfs, and a week or so later some parts arrived from the laser cutters:

The feet have a load rating of 250kg each (heaviest corner of the Polo was 276kg)

Time to weld the captive nuts on the keeper plates for the box section:

And then weld these onto the box section:

I then counter sunk the aluminium surface plates, and bolted the legs onto them:

Then welded on some cross braces, they still need a lick of paint:

A good friend has also been laboring over the design for the setup wheels, those parts are currently being manufactured, so should have one to check fitment soon:

All for now

Cheers

Pete

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #519 on: January 15, 2017, 07:34:50 pm »
Excellent work

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2017, 03:24:30 pm »
Thanks Ian!

Slapped some paint on the stands at the weekend:

And a photo of some random bits of aluminium box bolted to the floor... more on that next time:

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2017, 08:39:43 pm »
The first mock up of the setup wheels was done on my mates Autograss car:

Obviously will be welded together, but as a proof of concept, these work! :)

An ironing board for the Polo arrived too:

Mr Haug himself had his car in a wind tunnel - reports 80-103kg at the rear axle @ 170kph, I didn't witness the testing, so pinch of salt with those figures. That said, he doesn't piss about with his own car:

Onwards to the floor! I thought long and hard about dong this, and decided last year it was something I wanted to do, hence the exhaust and fuel tank modifications. I don't like adding weight to the car, but I'll not re-underseal the floor, so there's 10kg in the bag there.

So, start with a bare floor, and a mock-up wheel of the correct dimensions:

The basic frame was then put into place, I'd made some measurements prior to taking the car off the road so I knew where my ground line was. I've worked on 60mm between ground and floor face, this is the minimum allowance in the Seat Motorsport guidelines for the Supacopa which I've cribbed a few things from.

I was however, still fairly cautious, as I'm changing the wheels, suspension and probably rideheight - so wanted to allow for future tweaks.

I decided to weld tubes with captive nuts to the body, but make them 25mm short of the frame. I'll make some nylon spacers, and tape these to the steel tubes, a button head fastner will then hold it all together.

My theory being, I can alter the floor height by changing the nylon spacers, and if I hit something the bolt will hopefully bend, before the metal tube welded to my Spanish steel floor!

Generally this took ages to get right. Loads of measuring, re-measuring and tea drinking. Re-clamping, re-measuring, and making new pieces if they didn't fit 100%

I had some ally plates laser cut to join everything together:

Many rivets later, it was getting there:

I've incorporated a rear diffuser, currently started off with a 7' angle, which is fairly standard - it doesn't look extreme, or anything like some of the time attack cars. But at greater angles the risk of detaching flow from the floor is increased. I run the car slightly nose down too, so didn't want to take the piss too much.

If I want to change this in the future, I'll get some more plates cut at a different angle:

Longer tubes welded to the rear floor (with some spreader plates) securing the diffuser:

The finished frame:

Next steps are to get the floor plates laser cut, means I can easily replace them as/when they get damaged (and I doubt I can cut straight lines...)

Been tinkering with the powertrain in parallel to this, hoping to use a combination of VAG parts to make something reliable and circa 350bhp.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2017, 05:33:41 am »
 Wow great job being done.....are you doing a front splitter Peter?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:58 am »
Yup - will be a full flat floor inc. front splitter and airdam, I need to get the engine and downpipe made before I do that through

Cheers

Pete

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #524 on: March 05, 2017, 08:01:42 am »
Nice work Pete  8)

Are you going to be using this for competition?