Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 212877 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #495 on: May 27, 2016, 10:26:03 pm »
Cheers gents!

Fuel cell now installed- looks like 4 bits of angle iron (cause it is...) but there's a fair amount of work behind it!

As you can see from the first photo, the panel under the rear seat isn't flat:

Untitled by Peter Strange, on Flickr

Which means I'd have to break out the year 9 maths book, and get jiggy with some trigonometry.

First though, this arrived:

Double bevel model, so compound mitres are possible (used for this job) and I can swap the blade for a stainless one for my exhaust system :)

So, I started with the two easy angles, the front and rear- decided to pop rivet the aluminium case to the steel as I couldn't access the rear for bolts.

Onwards with the marking, centre punching and drilling!

Fairly typical workbench shot...

With that done I moved onto the side which require a compound mitre cut:

And that ends up looking something like this:

A quick trim of the sharp edges and a zip round with the welder:

I then dropped it in and got my weld on:

And made a plate for the front gap:

A lick of etch prime:

And then a test fit:

Job jobbed:

I'll work out the fuel filler, internal pumps and fuel lines at a later date, plan is to move onto the handbrake, exhaust, and heatshield.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #496 on: July 03, 2016, 10:40:39 pm »
Not had much time on this recently as I've been busy at weekends with weddings, holidays and Le Mans- finally got back on it this weekend, managed to get the exhaust mounts done, cut and tack the exhaust system, put a big hole in the side for it to stick out, and bend the handbrake cables and make the mounts for them.

So, exhaust mounts from a T3 Transporter, brackets start as 5 pieces of flat sheet, welded together with captive nuts:

[/url]Untitled by Peter Strange, on Flickr[/img]

Handbrake cables from the Seat were annealed and then bent into shape, they're slightly too long for the Polo, so I couldn't sit them tight against the body, but they clear everything, and no one will ever see them!

Next up was the exhaust, I wanted 3" pipe and a side exit, to allow some rear axle mods, and a flat floor, 3" is fairly big for a modest Polo tunnel, but with some chopping of various brackets, and lack of gearlinkage, it goes!

Silencer is Simons- seems fairly good quality, a crimped housing rather than welded, but had steel wadding, instead of fibreglass (which always degrades after a few years), hoping it will still pass noise limits, being a turbo it's fairy muted at no load anyway- I just about have space to put and additional one in the middle of the tunnel, if required.

Next up is bending the hangers, then onto the TIG to weld 'er up!

;D

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #497 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:17 am »
Hangers all complete and tacked into place:

To remove the exhaust or change a hanger, remove the two M8 bolts, and take a split pin out, no wrestling with rubbers!

Left it all looking something like this:

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the tailpipe, I've got a straight exit and a slash cut, slash cut is winning currently, looks very similar to this... given the origins of the tube that's not too surprising:

Because racecar etc.

Next up is plating the inner panels together (all 3 of them) which requires a few paper templates and some zintec steel, proper pain in the arse to do, but vital!

All for now, currently scratching my head regarding rear axle, and mulling over pedal boxes and steering columns.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:43 am »
Incredible install Yoof, the attention to detail is so good.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #499 on: August 12, 2016, 09:32:14 pm »
So next on the list of things to do was look at the rear axle- I plan on stepping up a slick size again, and had slight concerns about how floppy a standard Polo rear axle was.

Que some inspiration from works VW Golfs:

So, fire up the kettle and solidworks, a few days later some laser cut pieces arrived (I have spares if anyone wants) :

I also ordered some ERW tube and a few inserts from McGill Motorsport - good service and well priced rose joints:

So, onwards with welding things up, first up the base plate for everything to sit on:

Then tack up the 4 side plates (hole will become obvious later)

Mock-up of the centre mount:

I then tacked the insert and tube together:

Then a quick tack to the base plate, and mount the stub axle to make sure everything clears:

I then etch primed the inside of the turret, and welded them both on:

Same for the centre mount:

Then it was time to strip it back, clean, etch prime and assemble:

Holes obviously for the handbrake cables to pass through:

And finished with some rubbers over the rose joints and plastic finishers over the nuts:

So, that's some VAG parts bin raiding; Seat 2007 Stub Axles, Discs & Calipers, Lupo GTi Stub Axle spacers, Polo GT/G40 Axle, and Mk3 Golf Kit Car style toe bars.

All for now!

Cheers

Pete

Offline runforrestrun

• Members
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2016, 12:11:42 am »
Pete, you're my hero.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2016, 11:51:56 pm »
You might want to drill some small drain holes at the bottom of the plates where the shocks sit, just in case water splashes in them in some magical way. I know the car probably wont run in the rain but better safe than sorry.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2016, 10:19:55 am »
Fair point - it definitely runs in the rain, just very slowly!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2016, 09:29:58 pm »
Update time, almost finished the exhaust heat shield, just have to do around the backbox now.

Whilst I was waiting for more heatshield material to arrive, I cracked on with a few more bits...

I debated a few other pedal boxes, but decided to go with Tilton, as they're proven and I don't want to skimp on brakes!

I cut and tacked a dash bar in, as I don't intend on running a heater or dash anymore (heated windscreen planned) and then spent ages with blocks of wood getting the position right.

I then spent an untold amount of time getting two bars perfectly level and parallel. This is key to the install so the pedal box frame is loaded evenly.

After that, time to move onto EPAS. Ever since fitting a plate diff and slicks, I'd wanted to fit power steering - on tight tracks like Curby and bits of Blyton, it's hard to whirl the wheel quickly enough. So something which is can be retro fitted and configured to suit my needs appealed.

As with all things, it's far more involved than the pictures show, but I wanted to use as much of the GM column as possible, including the collapsible section and the control stalks. Also means if something breaks, I can swap the column out for another £50 eBay one, rather than worry about making more bespoke parts.

I fabricated and tacked together some CDS, and then tacked it to the dash bar... I got it right third time!

The two pickup points nearest in the photo are nylon, so in an impact the column can compress - hopefully this doesn't happen, but it's now safer than the standard Polo one!

Good blast round with the welder:

A lick of etch prime to finish off:

The final piece was connecting two lower parts of the columns together. Luckily the Polo one fits inside the Corsa one with a minor fettle, unfortunately I snapped a drill bit in them tonight as I was drilling a hole for a 6mm pin, fairly standard practice to seam weld and pin these, so if the weld fails, there's still a mechanical link in the system. New part from eBay on the way to me currently, so I'll do that next week.

Looks like this, before I broke it:

All for now, cheers!

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #504 on: October 18, 2016, 07:07:58 pm »
As ever, really interesting read, thanks for the info, the brake list etc..

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2016, 11:47:03 pm »
Stirling work Pete, some amazing effort going into this phase of the evolution! Are you going to do a run of heated screens? Last time I tried sourcing one it was a minimum order of 10 iirc.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #506 on: October 19, 2016, 07:24:49 am »
Stirling work Pete, some amazing effort going into this phase of the evolution! Are you going to do a run of heated screens? Last time I tried sourcing one it was a minimum order of 10 iirc.

Cheers - wanted this to be the last one for a while!

Yes, I expect I'll do a group buy on screens to get the prices down, 10 seems ambitious, so maybe 5, still saves a few quid!

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #507 on: October 19, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
When you fitted the EPAS, did you consider moving the rack to get rid of some bump steer?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #508 on: October 19, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
When you fitted the EPAS, did you consider moving the rack to get rid of some bump steer?

Not a problem with bespoke uprights  8)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #509 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »

Cheers - wanted this to be the last one for a while!

Yes, I expect I'll do a group buy on screens to get the prices down, 10 seems ambitious, so maybe 5, still saves a few quid!

Safe, let me know when the time comes.