Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 211452 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »
Yeah not too much more I can shave off now, probably do doors I suppose, but they're expensive.

Got output shaft seals for my box now from TPS so things should start going back together fairly quickly.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:55 am »
i Thought about investing in doors, but i dont not run a cage with door bars etc and mine is a road car..

what price were you paying for the Doors ? around £500 ?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
450 Euro/pair plus shipping and tax (19%), I get trade on that so circa £500 yeah.

One of my doors is going rusty at the bottom, so I'll wait until that goe sthrough and then think about upgrading then.

Engine is back in now  ;D

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2012, 10:30:12 am »
Phil Jackson is advertising them around £500, bonnet and bootlids available also.

Oh, the wiring done yeT?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »
Yeah there's no pictures of anything though, I've had fibreglass parts from 3/4 different suppliers now, and have found one I'm happy with. I'd also buy direct from the supplier, much easier/cheaper if you buy a few bits.

Wiring hasn't had anything done to it, just need to plug stuff back in, might do that tonight.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »
So, time for an update...

Everything back together and an MOT pass first time, no advisories:

So, erm... I went to a PistonHeads meet yesterday evening, and erm, blew the bottom end up.

That's the block (or some of it) which was on the M6 Toll  :D

Unfortunately it also took the rad out:

So, some amusing pictures, it's gone through both sides of the block  :o (you can see the exhaust heatshield/clutch cable the other side!)

So, quick e-mail to TPS and a few phone calls later, picking another 1341cc BV head motor up this weekend, got these on the way to me too:

Complete with ARP bolts.

Need to strip down and inspect the engine to find root cause, hopefully the turbo and cam are still fine. So, it's engine back out time, again!

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »
yoof man that is some really harsh news :(

but your so positive and calm about it or this just your online persona lol

im glad your getting back on top of it so quickly! one of the legend cars

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »
Holy Cow! I bet that went with a right bang! Its such a pity it was on the road for a day its never looked as fierce as it does now mate. I'm glad to see that your breathing life back into her straight away, hopefully shes back for vw action!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:06 pm »
Rods have arrived, and engine is now out the car, did a proper job of smashing the starter motor too. Engine turns over freely so I'm still hopefull for the head!

Rest of the rebuild bits are on their way from Germany.

Terry- I'm fairly calm about the whole thing, my job is an engine development engineer- so I'm well used to things breaking, but usually I don't have to foot the bill!

Thanks for the kind words, certainly gives me enthusiasm to keep going into the garage and get it done!

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »
Haha that a proper job of smashing that up!

Must have gone with some force to blow a hole that size and smash the starter mount too.

At least it's on the mend tho, and onto bigger and better engine wise :)

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:54 am »
holy moly, that was a hell of a mess! too bad that you enjoyed it for a short time since crash.

even though, was an opportunity to improve and get a few more horsies from the PY.

with those rods, you should get you crank polished and balanced...just an thought!

good luck with rebuild, keep posting pics!

cheers

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2012, 07:46:29 pm »
what rpm where you doing when it let go mate? m6 toll and rod letting go would normally = high rpm/big speed lol

yea just give me a shout if you get stuck with your rad.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:38 pm »
Was coming onto the M6, 3rd gear WOT about 4500rpm, stripped a little more down tonight, bent valves on No. 3 cylinder, and the piston is 100% mantle piece material now. Head will be repaired with a new set of guides/seats and two new valves.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was a rod bolt that let go first, no one can tell for sure but it seems to be the most probable root cause.

Sump is also dead so I need to weld a new fitting in another sump for the oil drain.

More gore pictures:

Parts have been shipped from Germany now, so by next week I should have everything for the rebuild.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2012, 04:45:20 am »
Shit luck dude!

On the bright side.. It should be good for more ponies now! ;D

Glad to seee your on it!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »
So, time for an update. I have the Club Polo trackday booked at Blyton in a few weeks time, and BVF was falling on my birthday weekend, and I'd just shat my engine fairly comprehensively.

Sat 14th I picked this up from Surrey:

Saved some time as it came with a 1341cc bottom end (but no BVH).

Already had stuff booked that weekend and Monday, so that basically gave me Tuesday- Friday lunchtime to strip en engine out the black G, rebuild with forged rods and a BVH, get all the rebuild parts, repair my leaking ally rad, put it in the car, and drive to BVF. Simples eh? Quickly filled my holiday sheet in on the Friday, and told work I'd see them in a week...

Here in, lies the tale, of the engine I have aptly named, 'the bastard'.

So we start on Tuesday, engine out, gearbox split, and head off... to find its a stock head, bugger. Quick call to previous owner and PeteG40 sees me with some cash back, and me due to pick a new head up from Pete (thanks Lewis/Pete).

Spend the rest of the day splitting parts off my failed 1341cc motor. That evening I drive up to collect the head from Pete and have a brew.

Wednesday- parts arrive from Germany, and rods/bolts are already here, so split the new 1341cc further and take rods from pistons, install new rods. Start to put new rods back in bottom end, torquing them up happily (ARP torques not VW), and SNAP.

Fuck. Game over.

So a call to the supplier and some head scratching later, I realise I've been an utter rainman and torqued them up to the incorrect bolt spec. 15lbft too much. With my background this is an epic failure. Call back to supplier, £80 later, lesson learnt, don't be a smart arse and read instructions properly.

Removed the other bolts, which had started to neck, they're now on my shelf of broken shit.

I didn't take many pics over the next day or so...

Thursday comes, and rod bolts arrive by courier about half 2. Hmm, leaving Friday lunch looks highly doubtful! Anyway, put everything back together and find on Thursday night, 'the bastard' strikes again, this engine can't like the thought of 1.5bar up it's arse or something... fighting every step of the way, 2 cam bearing studs pull. Arse, they're M7 and need helicoiling, not a problem I've got a kit as this is a common problem, kit is at my old unit 120miles away. The Bastard strikes again.

So I get everything back together anyway, and figure I can sort it Friday, this is 7hrs of work:

I finished about 10.30pm Thursday night, engine still not fired/checked.

5am Friday morning, drive to Chelford, collect Helicoil kit, tell myself I'm mad, and drive home. Helicoil both studs, torque/angle them and they're good, sweet! Fill with fluids, and then fire it up. Running on 3 cylinders, arse, it's half 12 now, should be leaving in an hour for BVF.

Whip the plugs out, carbon deposit stopping cyl 1 firing, sound. Back to the full 4 now. Time it up and chuck the tent in the back, have a shower and wonder what I've not torqued up...

Andy gets home from work, we load the car up and leave about half 2 to meet Pete and Sam and convoy onto BVF. Car starts smoking.... hmmm, I did wonder where all the oil from my bottom end went, most of it seems to have been soaked into my manifold/downpipe wrap, que smoking for the next 50miles whilst other road users look generally worried.

Arrive at BVF, beaming. It's my birthday weekend, and my car and mates are there, sweet!

I was utterly shattered all weekend, but well worth it. Currently got a boost leak, but no other problems!

See you at Blyton in a few weeks, I need to put some more miles on it before then, will hopefully be back at full boost too. (Still quicker than a 'Rado G60 at 0.9bar  :P)

Yoof