Author Topic: Original 1991 rebuilt g40 for sale (engine rebuild)  (Read 7730 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Original 1991 rebuilt g40 for sale (engine rebuild)
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:14:35 pm »
Hi all, as most of you know, my g40 will be up for sale soon :( i really dont want to sell it, but needs must

I thought id post a thread of all the recent work carried out as it gives a potential buyer much more insight to all the work carried out
Im nearly 100% finished with the car, got a few more things to sort and then i will put a proper for sale thread up

First off ill list all the work carried out 8k miles ago

The super charger had a full rebuild including every bearing and seal, even the wiggly eye bearing that is never normally changed. i also recently stripped it apart to clean it and and double check everything which was all fine, i did this with the engine rebuild so less than 100 miles ago

The rear steel brake pipes were replaced with copper pipes+ flexi pipes as well as new slave cylinders, rear drums and wheel bearings

New syntec fuel pump and fuel filter

brembo front discs and pads (still loads of meat left on them)

Genuine gearbox fluid refill and an LUK clutch

Genuine water pump housing and seal

genuine blue and black temp sensors

Phil J Poly bush engine mounts X3 (the black ones that look stock)

Coil pack from a polo 6n

Distributor from a polo 6n + genuine seals

5k miles ago

new water pump and timing belt

Gear stick repair kit

I have heaps of genuine receipts for parts from tps

ngk iridium spark plugs

Full doors of windows out respray

Onto more recent stuff, the Engine has been rebuilt less than 100 miles ago, is completely stock and runs so lovely! making it even harder for me to sell :(

I have rebuilt the engine with new;
Febi stem seals
big end bearings
main bearings (proper ones thanks to pete, they have the oil groove all the way around, the ones OCD amd gsf supply are wrong)
All new gaskets, rocker, sump, both engine block plates, metal head gasket
febi head bolts
febi flywheel bolts
Though the cambelt was only changed 5k ago i decided to get a new one anyway
water pump had only done 7k miles and was a good qaulity one
camshaft seal
crankshaft seals both ends
febi crankshaft pulley
genuine crankshaft pulley bolt
Febi oil pump that had only covered 300 miles (was stripped and cleaned)
Oil pump chain
Thrust washers
new o rings for dip stick

Everything was de-coked and cleaned then assembled with running in graphite paste
bores honed
Injectors ultrasonically cleaned
Valves lapped in
Crank balanced
The rings were checked for wear but were well within spec
Rocker cover was glass bead blasted for factory look as well as, cylinder head, inlet mani, throttle body and a few other aluminum parts

Other new parts
Oil
Oil filter
Front wheel bearings
Febi top mounts
Inner tca bushes
Anti roll bar bushes
Supercharger belts
Rad switch
both front brake hoses

Time for the pics

Old bearings

All torqued up as per haynes

Awesome bearing glue supplied by mirfin

Water pipe media blasted and heat painted

New stem seals

Vaves lapped in and head cleaned

Thought metal head gasket would be a better option over the card type ones

head bolts angle torqued correctly

Graphite grease on all moving parts, is really good parts! we use it to rebuild jag engines

new rad

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Original 1991 rebuilt g40 for sale (engine rebuild)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:40:30 pm »
Ive also replaced the breather pod for a new genuine one
New front and rear number plates to tidy things up :)

Also forgot the steering rack has also been refurbed with new boots
new outer cv boots
New rotor arm
new dizzy cap
New lambda sensor

I finished the engine off this saturday, started straight away and runs lovely! so quite and nice :)

I drove her 100 miles home from the workshop and she didnt miss a beat! well chuffed, is lovely to drive a standard unmodified g40, you would not believe how refined it is and how nice the engine is. im also suprised and how much torque it has! right down from low rpm, still feels fast!! after driving it like this in totally stock form id never modify one again

got a few things to sort, mot need a new back box and a good clean

thanks for reading

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:59 am »
Nice build Taylor, why don't you just keep it and store it, drive it occasionally?.. pretty sure you'd regret it.

Do you have a price in mind as well for when and if you sell it?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:07 am »
I'd very much love to keep it, but the money is going towards the workshop/business

I'm looking for £3500 which is pretty well priced given the condition and compared to others

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:22 pm »
I drove her 100 miles home from the workshop and she didnt miss a beat! well chuffed, is lovely to drive a standard unmodified g40, you would not believe how refined it is and how nice the engine is. im also suprised and how much torque it has! right down from low rpm, still feels fast!! after driving it like this in totally stock form id never modify one again

This should be put on the banner of the site. It is nice driving a stock one. There are a few things that are easily improved and I suppose it is a slippery slope from there sometimes.

Nice work by the way.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:31 am »

This should be put on the banner of the site. It is nice driving a stock one. There are a few things that are easily improved and I suppose it is a slippery slope from there sometimes.

Nice work by the way.

Thank you :)

If I get another one (which I hope to, when i have the place to store one.. And the money ha) the only mods I'd ever do would be bigger brakes and master cylinder, stage 2 subframe and arb blocks

After driving a stock one, it's a nice place to be, in my opinion the engine doesn't need fiddling with

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:25:36 am »
I hate to say it (because your a bottler :P) but this is good work dude, such a shame your a honda boy now lol.

You say that there no need for a modified one, but if you went in a turbo one like mine/sams/hayseys etc etc you would definately change your mind lol.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
I hate to say it (because your a bottler :P) but this is good work dude, such a shame your a honda boy now lol.

You say that there no need for a modified one, but if you went in a turbo one like mine/sams/hayseys etc etc you would definately change your mind lol.

I could also say.... if you drove the teg you would sell your g40 too :P haha

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »
I doubt that lol, i've driven accord type r etc and not been impressed. If i was going jap it would be a proper rwd turbo beast anyway.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:33 pm »
I doubt that lol, i've driven accord type r etc and not been impressed. If i was going jap it would be a proper rwd turbo beast anyway.

Yes to the rwd turboness!! Haha!! Dude! You cannot compare a shitty accord to the teg lol