Author Topic: Oil Pressure Problems  (Read 2888 times)

Offline mrtom22

• Members
Oil Pressure Problems
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »
Hi there guys,

Started a new topic as I couldnt quite find similar symptoms to mine. I have recently fitted a replacement 1341 turbo engine in my polo and it runs well, but I'm having some serious issues with the oil pressure, I'm currently running the oil breather into a vented plastic bottle (not ideal I know) and after a bit of of a hoon it will fire oil into the bottle in massive amounts, to the point where it fills it and throws it everywhere! It also spits oil out of the exhaust on idle, these sound like piston ring symptoms but the engine was built by Steve Pitt and has only done 6000 miles! The pipe off the breather looks to be a good diameter and it doesnt appear to be blocked.

Help!

Offline mrtom22

• Members
Re: Oil Pressure Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:09 pm »
I forgot to say I am also running a Mocal Oil Cooler!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:56:15 am »
Do you have an oil pressure gauge fitted? If so whats your oil pressure like?

Might be worth getting a garage/ a mate with a gauge to check it for you .

It does sound like an over pressurised crank case though, mine did it when I'd melted a piston.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:59:14 am »
You could try to pressure test the engine to see if the piston rings are sealing good. I would suggest inspecting the cylinder head too. pressure could be escaping from the head gasket and causing this problem. If the gasket wasn't a proper one this would happen and has nothing to do with who built the engine!

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
I have access to a pressure tester so I will have a look and let you know, what kind of PSI should I be looking at for a healthy engine?

I will try the head too thats a good shout, I only mentioned who it was built by to see if anybody else had anything similar, its probably my fault for giving it a pasting!

Cheers guys

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:30:53 pm »
Engine should be fine getting a hammering so don't think thats the issue however if its not been setup correctly the harder you push the more likely it is to let go in some way.

If you had a oil pressure gauge you can actually see if the pressure is building but it certainly sounds like the crank is pressurising and then sucking the oil up into the cylinder and straight out the exhaust.

Hope you find the issue but I'd suspect either rings, piston or a crack in the block!

Offline brownysblower

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »
could just be the head gasket gone between cylinder and oil way !!

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
True! Head gasket is a possibility.
Take the spark plugs out and take a look at them.

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »
So the results are in!

Piston 1 165PSI
Piston 2 155PSI
Piston 3 90PSI
Piston 4 165PSI

Piston 3 110PSI with oil (Rose much faster)

Piston ring on Cylinder 3, just what i needed!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:54 pm »
Sounds abit like what mines doing although i have just changed the lambda as it smelt stupidly rich and its cured that.