Author Topic: Re: How to replace differential bearings in an 085 gearbox  (Read 2772 times)

Offline T0nyB

• Members
Re: How to replace differential bearings in an 085 gearbox
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »
Hello

Please excuse the "thread from the dead".

I have just changed my diff bearings following this excellent howto.

My troubles started afterwards.

The box is stuck in gear - probably my fault - in an attempt to get all of the crud out of the box after changing the bearings, and whilst flushing it, I rotated the diff, the input shaft, and the gearchange shaft..

Can any one please tell me how I can get the car into neutral?

Its installed, and the car is back together - wishful thinking! But I have access to the linkage and change shaft from under the car.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Tony

(also posted on club polo)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: How to replace differential bearings in an 085 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:14:21 am »
Hi,

moved this into a new thread and out of the FAQ section.

It's a bit hard to say what the cause is but I think in any case you're going to need to remove the box and open it again.

Just one thing though, if you disconnect the gear linkage from the shaft on the box, can you select any gears by just moving the shaft on it's own?  It should pull in and out for 3rd & 4th just using your hands.

It could be as simple as the ball & cap on the linkage inside the box not being located properly, when you put the box halves back together you have to make sure these line up.  Or a part of the shift finger mechanism could have moved but that seems unlikely.  You said about clearing the crud out of the box, what crud do you mean?  It should be clean in there aside from perhaps old oil.  If there's anything else in there something could have got stuck in synchro ring on the gear itself.  But really, if there's any debris in there then it's total strip down & wash everything in a parts washer time.  Even tiny bits and pieces in there will cause damage.

Offline T0nyB

• Members
Re: How to replace differential bearings in an 085 gearbox
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:01 am »
Thank you for moving the thread and the reply.

You were correct, I had not aligned the shaft ball and socket in the gear box. School boy error.

The crud I referred to was just a slime on the gearbox casing, no doubt born of 80000 miles of hard use since the last rebuild at 40000 miles.

Now that I can hear things more clearly as the gearbox is quiet I can tell I have problems with the drivers side droiveshaft - its noisy at anything other than straight ahead.

Looks like thats the next job.

FWIW - if I can do the bearing change with limited experience, tools and facilities its well worth attempting on an older car which, due to its value, is otherwisew destined for the crusher. Think I spent around £40 on parts and a nasty cheap bearing puller from Ebay for £22 which did the job.

Thank you again

Tony

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: How to replace differential bearings in an 085 gearbox
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:44 pm »
yeah it's actually not difficult really with a few decent tools.  man-handling the gearbox off and on the car is the biggest pain of it all.