Author Topic: Coilover spring rates  (Read 8310 times)

Offline Phil

• Members
Re: Coilover spring rates
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »
Nice to see there are others after high end suspension. I’ve been asked by a couple of people for something better than the Gaz, but cheaper than a KW motorsport kit.

So I’ve been working on a new range with a few guys recently, which for the polo will include a DIY kit so you can do the fab work yourself. Starts with a non adjustable monotube, bit cheaper than the Gaz, Top adjustable bump and rebound monotube for around Gaz money, both of these are more fast road/light track work. Then a full race with individual bump and rebound adjustment with external reservoirs for a bit over a KW V1 kit.

These will have full strut length adjustment, so a female threaded tube welded into the polo strut, with a laser cut steering arm on top, and male threaded damper insert retaining full damper travel.

On top of that a UK made full motorsport monotube range with non adjustable, 1, 2, 3 and 4 way options. Extremely highly rated at all levels of motorsport.

Non adjustable and 1 way will fit in the strut length adjustable struts and reasonable money, the rest I’m not sure will go, and as nice as a 3/4way shock is, can’t imagine any of you lot would want them? They’re Penske/Ohlins money and arguably better.

Will also be able to offer all of these in a mk1 golf casing with steering arm. Also as the casings will be the same between most you can upgrade from a non adjustable to a 2 way motorsport down the line. Been working on these for a long time now, and finally at a point where we're happy with the suppliers used for each component.

Also going to throw some doubt into the "A spring is a spring debate" with hopefully a swift spring upgrade option.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/157535-swift-springs-dynoed.html

Bilstein’s are good, but get hot under track conditions, as do a lot of these shocks which is why most offer a motorsport range, it's not just that they have a bit more adjustment. They also need shortening for coilovers ideally, and whilst they can do that, it is big money. Gaz say they’re gha range aren’t for full track work. KW have now started making all of their shocks in house, rather than just the higher end range hence a price increase that'll hopefully stop them cavitating and blowing. They do a motorsport kit for the 86c but last I checked it was £2.5k+. H&R use Koni’s neither offer a kit for a Polo, although Koni's motorsport range is nice. AST and Intrax aren’t interested, both of which you can find stories of them failing.

I like the Gaz, for the money they are decent with good adjustment, but they can’t fit anything bigger in the struts and they aren't motorsport rated. Also noticed something interesting…

Those Avo's do sound interesting Tav, did they mention a price though?

Found someone who will produce a small batch of salzmann top mounts for reasonable money, also found a solution to the knocking/banging these make on a McPherson.

So hopefully a few exciting developments in the polo suspension department in the next few months.

If there's something that you want or could be incorporated etc let me know.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 05:37:21 pm »
PM'd phil back, interesting conversations

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »
Bit late in the convo but worth having a look at the axel bushes if your getting wheel scrub ;-)