Author Topic: Changing gear selector rod seal and bush  (Read 34852 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Changing gear selector rod seal and bush
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:49:44 pm »
you will need:

3.1 litres of gearbox oil : G 060726A2 (Approx £4 per litre)
Seal: No 085301227 (Approx £4)
Bush: No 001301209 (Aprrox £4)
A length of pipe about 100mm in length and and wide enough to go over the selector rod
Chisel or something similar
Mole grips

[attachment=7]

[attachment=8]

[attachment=9]

step 1.
undo oil drain on the diff just below passenger side driveshaft and remove oil

step 2.
Using a pair of grips/pliers/mole grips get someone to lightly pull at the bush while you tap the back of the bush with a chisel until it comes free. Leaving the seal in tact ensures it does not scratch the rod and they will both come off together.

Here is an image of the bush and seal removed

[attachment=10]

step 3.
Carefully push the new bush down the selector rod and using your bit of pipe carfully tap it into place.

step 4.
Slide new seal paying particular attention to the part numbers on the rubber seal pointing outwards so they can be seen at all times even when in situ. Use some grease to lubricate the selector rod when doing so and use the metal pipe again and gently tap into position.

Step 5.
From above using a suitable funnel and pipe inserted into the top filling hole about 60mm above the drain hole fill the box with 3.1 litres of oil. Replace the drain plug and give everything a quick check over and a wipe.

So far it seems its stopped my leak and it also seems to have smoothened the selection of second gear. I think there was some play on the rod moving between the bush before hand which occasionally would interfere with a smooth selection of 2nd.

Note: i also used a tiny bit of sealer on the back of the lip of the bush which contacts with the box and used a bit of fine paper to carefully remove a few light scratches on the rod. nothing major, will be fine without these things being done, personal choice.

supercharged spaniel
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:48:37 pm by hayesey »

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
Re: Changing gear selector rod seal and bush
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:09:19 pm »
Great "how to"... not as easy to get bush out as light tap with chizel (more like strength of the bear with a mallet and gradually fatter screwdrivers) but cheers for posting!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:54 am »
Hayesey, is this a fairly easy thing to do?

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:49 am »
Your attachments do not work and I am really looking forward in doing this too as my G leakes heavily from that seal! Could you please reattach them?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26:48 am »
the pictures are all at the bottom of the post. It got kind of messed up when we changed forum software some time back but they are all there.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »
Just been vw to get bits, the bush has superseeded now and they gave me another one. When i pick them up on wednesday i will let you know.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »
just changed mine and it took me 10 hours to get the seal out  >:(, a fair amount of WD40, 2 destroyed screwdrivers and pretty much every tool I had plus a couple borrowed! It shouldn't be that hard, my arms hurt from pushing and twisting and I don't want to do it ever again :'(! I guess that is what happens when you leave it there for 17years! Honestly a bigger lip on the end of it would make it hell easier to pull out, you would only need a spanner and a hammer, What were they thinking!

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:35:37 pm »
i got round to doing this myself today after putting it off for weeks,

i didnt want to do it because some people said it was really hard to do,

mine took about ten minutes from start to finish and was really easy. :)

the pipe i used was a length of 22mm copper pipe smoothed at one end, worked perfect ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:48:15 pm by liam »

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »
Do you know the size of the allen drain plug?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
17mm

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »
I did this the other day and it was a very easy thing to do. Used a scewdriver and a hammer. Taped under the bush to lever it out and it popped out. Guide is v.good though.

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
you will need:

3.1 litres of gearbox oil : G 060726A2 (Approx £4 per litre)
Seal: No 085301227 (Approx £4)
Bush: No 001301209 (Aprrox £4)
A length of pipe about 100mm in length and and wide enough to go over the selector rod
Chisel or something similar
Mole grips

[attachment=7]

[attachment=8]

[attachment=9]

step 1.
undo oil drain on the diff just below passenger side driveshaft and remove oil

step 2.
Using a pair of grips/pliers/mole grips get someone to lightly pull at the bush while you tap the back of the bush with a chisel until it comes free. Leaving the seal in tact ensures it does not scratch the rod and they will both come off together.

Here is an image of the bush and seal removed

[attachment=10]

step 3.
Carefully push the new bush down the selector rod and using your bit of pipe carfully tap it into place.

step 4.
Slide new seal paying particular attention to the part numbers on the rubber seal pointing outwards so they can be seen at all times even when in situ. Use some grease to lubricate the selector rod when doing so and use the metal pipe again and gently tap into position.

Step 5.
From above using a suitable funnel and pipe inserted into the top filling hole about 60mm above the drain hole fill the box with 3.1 litres of oil. Replace the drain plug and give everything a quick check over and a wipe.

So far it seems its stopped my leak and it also seems to have smoothened the selection of second gear. I think there was some play on the rod moving between the bush before hand which occasionally would interfere with a smooth selection of 2nd.

Note: i also used a tiny bit of sealer on the back of the lip of the bush which contacts with the box and used a bit of fine paper to carefully remove a few light scratches on the rod. nothing major, will be fine without these things being done, personal choice.

supercharged spaniel

could i just ask if this was on a g40/gt engine? my gear lever has way too much play in it. and is moving around like crazy and only struggles into 3rd and 4th. i'm sure its the gear selector road on a 3f engine. i can see it from the engine bay and can reach it aswell. my old bush is torn to shreds. is it the gear selector bush i need?? thanks

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:12 am »
this one applies to all mk1/mk2/mk3 polo's.

the play you have has nothing to do with the seal, it has to do with shifting linkage.

lift the car and check the shift rod for play between lever and gearbox.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:38 am »
it applies to anything with an 084 or 085 gearbox on it.

But as andy said, play wont be this.  It's most likely part of the linkage.  You'll need to get under the car and have a look.  The plastic bush in the bottom of the box the gear stick goes down into.  Then the rubber bush on the front of that box where the linkage comes out and then the rubber ball type affair where the linkage attaches to the gearbox.

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:32:16 am »
how do i add a photo, it'll be easier to show the bush i'm going on about! haha