Author Topic: Buzzing/rattling noise  (Read 2137 times)

Offline paulg40

• Members
Buzzing/rattling noise
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
So even after spent lots of money on bits and bobs in the last month the G has not been a happy bunny.
For the last few weeks I have had a rattle/buzzing noise, this I was convinced had something to do with the exhaust as thats where I thought it was coming from. Having just fitted a new exhaust I put it down to the CAT which was the only part I hadn't changed.
So having taken off the CAT at the weekend it was fine. On starting the car up again and having a further look it sounds like the noise is coming from the gearbox side, the noise is on and off and when it does make the noise its in time with the engine rotation so I can only assume is the clutch/flywheel side and maybe something has come loose or the release bearing is playing up, having said this the sound does not disappear when the clutch is engaged. So having taken the start motor out last night I am now at the point where the gear box is coming off so I can inspect it, and at the same time I may as well change the oil seals on the box and change the clutch. I just hope the reason for this noise presents itself when I dismantle the thing.

Only took an hour to strip it all down and going to take the engine out so I can sort a few other bits out over the weekend, forgot how easy these things are to work on. I may not have the same view depending on what this rattle noise turns out to be! Anyone had the same symptoms? (sorry they are pretty vague but not really sure what I am dealing with yet).

Will update as I get the box off tomorrow night.

:(

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
Re: Buzzing/rattling noise
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »
Alright me where abouts are you , if your not to far from me (  I'm in Bedfordshire ) I'd love to come have a look see if I could help ? Cheers Ben

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:12:40 pm »
In County Durham mate,
Thanks for the offer though! Car is in bits now :-) one thing led to another and then I decided as I was so far on to strip the engine out then take the box apart. Found loads of bits that needed sorted as well so glad I took it apart, things like the knock sensor is totally perished and exposed wire on the block etc.

As for the mysterious noise I am sure its in the gearbox somewhere, just hope its the bell housing end and nothing expensive. The car is onto 100,000 miles with no sign of clutch change so I have a feeling it could be something there falling apart! wouldn't surprise me. it sounds possibly like something is rubbing against the flywheel starter teeth! so might just be an alien object in the bell housing that gets picked up now and then.

Will see what turns up when I separate the box. Can't work on it tonight but hope to nail it tomorrow night.

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »
Ah ok bit far lol as for the knock sensor I just found the same on mine when I done the engine swap no rubber on the wire at all ,

For the noise i had it where the release bearing had come apart but still worked fine :-S don't know how lol

Hope all goes well mate keep us updated as well ;-D

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »
I hope it is the release bearing as its an easy fix at this stage :-)

I'll probably start a build thread as well.
I think i'll spend this weekend cleaning bits up as they go back in the car! may as well get the engine bay to match the car.