Author Topic: Golf GTI Coil  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Billywhizz1984

• Members
Golf GTI Coil
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:08 pm »
Long ago I seem to remember an article (with excellent photos) which said the original G40 coil set-up struggled to provide a good spark, especially at high revs.

The answer was to replace it with a coil set-up from a Golf GTI Mk2.

Did I dream this as I can't find any mention after searching the forum?

Offline Dan

• Members
Re: Golf GTI Coil
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:47:25 pm »
True, but I think a standard replacement is a good answer. GSf do the Beru ones which are oe quality. I would do this over fitting second hand golf ignition bits !

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »
I dare say this is the article you are after:

http://derby.polog40.co.uk/oldsite/modification/engineefficiency.html

Like Dan said a new polo coil would be better than an old golf coil and you'll probably find that a new golf coil is no better than a new polo one.  Put it this way, yoof runs 22psi of boost and nitrous with a polo coil and it is fine.  I doubt there's much you could do that would put more strain on the ignition system than that!  ;)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:15:49 pm »
As Hayesey says there's nothing more stressfull for an ignition system than igniting a nitrous charge, I have no problems with a standard (new) set-up.

I did find that Bosch plugs burnt out the resistor in the rotor arm- you could always remove this (a common 'gas' mod) but you risk voltage peaks/spikes knackering your coil/hall sender far quicker- as its basically a surpression resistor I think (Andy will correct me if I'm wrong  ;))

Found a spcific type of NGK plug to burn far cleaner than the Bosch from cold too. Have found a reasonably cheap source too so it's another thing to hold in stock come 2009  :)

Offline Billywhizz1984

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:05 pm »
Thanks guys, Yes this was the article I was thinking of.

Good to know my memory wasn't playing tricks, also interesting to see how this has changed from a "must do" modification to something that's now considered more trouble than it's worth - There's progress for you!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:44:30 am »
I did find that Bosch plugs burnt out the resistor in the rotor arm- you could always remove this (a common 'gas' mod) but you risk voltage peaks/spikes knackering your coil/hall sender far quicker- as its basically a surpression resistor I think (Andy will correct me if I'm wrong  ;))
Seemed to start happening when W4DP0 became WR4DP0, i.e. a resistor plug. The alternative plugs we're using aren't resistor plugs and neither of us have killed a rotor arm yet. Made Dave Walker have a rant when he mapped the car, he went off on one about non-resistor plugs and interferrence 'til I pointed out that there was a supression resistor in the rotor arm to perform exactly the same function.

You could probably sack off the resistor in the rotor arm without trouble if you're using the newer Bosch resistor plugs, though EMC is a funny thing and may still cause problems with interferrence. Most susceptable will be hall sender signal and the radio reception - lambda shouldn't be so bad as it's shielded cable.