Author Topic: Check your boost pipes  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
Check your boost pipes
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »
Hey all just put my 65mm toothies on my g and after putting everything back on left it for the night and test drove the next day went out and it didn't feel right revs went up like nothing and no power well not what you'd expect from 65mm toothies , after thinking about it and talking my self in to needing compression test and knowing what a slipping clutch feels like crosed that one off swaped the ecu out of my other g and noticed the the clip from charger elbow to the first silicone pipe wasn't don't up
( thinking dumb arse ) pointless post but .... happy Easter everyone , G smiles again!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:34:55 pm by Ben.lopo »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Check your boost pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:14:33 pm »
Mine's come back from a garage doing this. The clip for the hose into the intercooler was dangling off the inlet.

Same with the slipping belts. I was told it was because I had a smaller pulley, the mechanic hadn't spotted the square hole to use while tensioning so the belts were on too loose.

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:34:36 pm »
I love when you find out it was something so stupid lol glad it's all good now ,

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
Boost pipe on the bottom of my eaton used to pop off quite abit. Bloody annoying as it was in such a difficult place to get to!

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »
Ha sounds familiar!

Back in 2003 when I done my G conversion to my Saloon me and Mark hunter took it for the first test drive. Neither of us had been in a G40 before but had both had GT's so we were excited to see what the difference was. Took it out and it was ok but nothing great. I was pretty disappointed. Then pulled over to check for oil leaks etc when I noticed a funny air wooshing noise! turns out as we rushed the last few bits on we forgot to tighten up one of the clips for the main boost pipe before the manifold and it had blown off. Fixed that and G-smiles! so much better Ha!

Yep always check pipes.

Just got my toothier on tonight with my home rebuilt charger. Started it up and it sounded like the charger was out of time and I had messed up! but it was cos i tightened the belts when it was in-between teeth so as soon as it started they went slack and made a right noise. All tightened now and working fine :-)

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »
I had same sort of thing but mine striped 3+ 1inch lengths made me thing bearing but one new belt from peteG40 and working lovely  ;D

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:38 pm »
Think most of us have done it at some point. I did it the other day :O pulled out of a 30 limit into a 60 and put my footdown to find a brief spell of boost then nothing!! Boost gauge said zilch so a quick pitstop revealed id not dont the clip up where boostpipe joins throttlebody!! D'oh!