Author Topic: From Standard to K03 to K04 + Rebuild  (Read 25021 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
From Standard to K03 to K04 + Rebuild
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:47:05 am »
The history......

Bought my G40 just over 4 years ago, completely standard in capri green. The initial journey to pick it up from just outside London was a story in itself.

Anyway, had no idea if the car was going be a heap or a winner. Turned out to be a winner :) - drove the car from London to Holyhead - then Dublin to nearly the Top of Northern Ireland using nearly 2 tanks of fuel, driving nearly 600miles, and many 120mph bursts [to make the ferry, which we did....just] all the while, it didn't miss a beat. If that wasn’t a test for the engine, I don’t know what is…

Unfortunately I have no pictures anymore of the polo in its standard form :( so this build thread is off to a great start haha...

Shortly after getting the car home, I signed up to this forum and it was the best decision I made in Polo terms. The help and advice has been brilliant because to be honest, I didn’t know a terrible amount about the G40. Some of my earlier posts are embarrassing to say the least haha, but you have to start somewhere 
After staring at the forum for countless months, I found out about ported chargers and 65mm pulleys – so bought a fully rebuilt, ported [full blend] charger and got a 65mm pulley/chip – completely transformed the car. The only problem was the need for sticky belt dressing which covered the engine bay…nasty.
Also did the boost return mod, added a 51mm throttle body, a GT inlet manifold and fitted new coil-overs with new steel wheels [195/45/14] as well as a few other minor things.

Ran that setup for quite a while and thought about toothed pulleys, but decided to go the turbo route instead. The cap on power the charger can provide was a put off as well as the need for 20k rebuilds on the 65mm pulley. Turbo route had more advantages in my opinion.

So from memory I bought all the following parts for the turbo setup:
-   K03 turbo
-   Manifold
-   Downpipe
-   Oil feed/drain
-   Water cooling pipes for turbo
-   Sump with turbo oil drain
-   268 Camshaft
-   6psi boost switch
-   Cg Motorsport Kevlar clutch
-   Universal front mounted intercooler
-   16 row Mocal oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate
-   Full 3” stainless exhaust system
-   Oil pressure, temperature and boost gauges
-   Remap

The end result was [finally a few pictures]:

After getting it mapped with a K03 – it made 175bhp using 17-18 psi of boost – he then took it down to 170bhp with 6 less ftlb. of torque  and said its at its limit in fuelling and this made it slllllightly safer…. He is an absolute genius and pulled a ridiculous torque figure out of the map which I’m not going to post as I reckon it will get slammed. And since I didn’t take a video or picture of the mapping session or get a printout of the figures, I cannot backup my claim other than say it’s my word.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:20:58 pm by AdzCM »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Re: From Standard to K03 to K04 + Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:01 pm »
I ran the K03 setup for most of 2013 until it was time to put it in the garage for the winter months.

It was fun, but the engine started to breath really heavily and filled a catch tank in no time. So I figured, now was a good a time as any to start my 1341 rebuild.

I was initially planning on fitting a K03 hybrid turbo as advised by my mapper, but wanted to try a K04 …. It’s the K04-023 and not the K04-015 [with the k03 housing etc.] so I have no idea what the lag will be like.

Comparison of K03 to K04

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »
 And so the rebuild began:

With the engine out, the bay in need of some TLC – watch this space ------------

The lil’ Polo in a sad state 

Terrible picture, but a few parts from the mountain of new parts

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
Fitted the new main end bearings/thrust washers with my nice freshly balanced/polished crankshaft [Thanks to Yousaf! Thanks bro! And fitted the oil pump along with crank housings with new seals and gaskets :)

For those who don't know, the engineering company I got to do the boring of the block and the balancing of the crank, removed the oil sprocket of the crankshaft which is not meant to come off [and I suspect they broke it]. I'm not the first person this happened to as another guy on this forum ran into similar problems with a different engineering company. His story was a bit more painful as small claims court was involved.
To cut a long story short, the company in question were happy to help me out, and replaced the crankshaft free of charge by buying one off Yousaf and then balanced and polished it all again for free :) - Took 2 months in total from the time I left my block/crankshaft down with them to the point where I got it all back [in one piece].

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

When I was fitting the oil pump, the Haynes manual just says 20nm which I now realise were for the 2 main bolts of the oil pump. The 2 small bolts used to bolt the mounting bracket to the block are not to be tightened to 20nm as I found out the hard way. There was no separate torque setting for these so tried to tighten them to 20nm, even when I thought to myself, that's a bit much since they're tiny.
Well I snapped it in the block and sat for half an hour with a screwdriver and a hammer trying to turn the bit to remove it. Did so successfully and then tightened a new bolt to 10nm of torque. Ironic that I used the torque wrench to avoid over tightening and that happened haha.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:02:18 pm by AdzCM »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »
I also fitted the pistons straight after the crank went in - what a nightmare - the ring compressor I had was pretty shit if I'm honest but it was borrowed so I can't complain too much. Was so scared of damaging the piston rings, this literally took me about an hour to do the 4...maybe more.

Then threw on the sump with new gasket and sealant.

This is about all I could do at this point, so set about painting various bits of the engine including the block:

Before I took my engine out, it had developed a really horrible misfire on cold start-up which went away after 30 seconds. I figured it might have something to do with the auxiliary air valve not opening properly on cold start up [probably not the cause but worth eliminating] - so I put it in a de-gunking solution and cleaned it out properly, then sprayed it along with the water pipe which was a little ugly looking. Fitted a new water pipe gasket put them on to make it look like I was making more progress while I wait on other parts.

Old manky AAV

Old rough looking water pipe

Freshly cleaned and painted:

You can also see in the above pics that I fitted the lightened crankshaft along with new stretch bolts and Loctite - thanks to Peteg40 for supplying me with oil pump, con rod nuts, main crank cap bolts, timing belt crank sprocket and flywheel bolts. Cheers mate.

Better pic of the flywheel:

I wish I weighed it before and after, but didn't have a set of scales that could weight that much. Theres quite a lot taken off both sides. The recesses on the back which allow for a socket extension to fit when taking off the sump with the flywheel still on, are completely gone.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:10:18 am by AdzCM »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:22:04 pm »
Few other things I painted:

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »
The standard interior of the G40 is lovely looking, but only when in really good condition. My front seats were pretty good but my back seat was faded and looked almost pink.
So my mum [being an upholsterer] wrapped my seats in black leather [not real leather but no idea what the material is actually called...its like fake leather if that makes sense]

Here is a really bad picture of the back seats, but they look awesome in person. So chuffed with them.

I will put up better pics when the car is finished. Front seats are done too but forgot to take a picture of them.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »
That is pretty much me up to date.

I am getting my mate to fit the quaife differential along with whatever new bearings/seals its requires.

Getting a helix paddle clutch and beautiful deep dish steelies from Yousaf. They will be sprayed grey :)

And I'm waiting on my new BVH to be finished. Should be around mid April time.

It shouldn't be long then before I will have it finished and ready for its run in!

Will keep you posted.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:05 pm »
Are you still running a standard MAP sensor? If so, that'll be what's holding you back if you're aiming for well over 15psi.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
Cracking work, good bit of motivation to hurry my engine rebuild along

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »
Are you still running a standard MAP sensor? If so, that'll be what's holding you back if you're aiming for well over 15psi.

Yeah, I know about the MAP sensor cheers. My mapper advised me to wait until I fitted the forged pistons and rebuilt the engine before upping the boost/fuel, which was good advice as I don't think the engine was anywhere near healthy enough to hack it.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »
Cracking work, good bit of motivation to hurry my engine rebuild along

Thanks man. You done much? Waiting on parts to arrive is the worst. I've done all I can do and it took no time at all. Need the head to finish it :(

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
Who's 'your mapper'?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »
Dave Wishart from Torquetronix here in Northern Ireland.

http://www.torquetronix.co.uk/about.aspx

The guy is a genius :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:43:21 pm by AdzCM »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:36 pm »
Yeah, I know about the MAP sensor cheers. My mapper advised me to wait until I fitted the forged pistons and rebuilt the engine before upping the boost/fuel, which was good advice as I don't think the engine was anywhere near healthy enough to hack it.
Fair enough. 15psi on a healthy bottom end is usually enough for 175bhp in my experience, so may well be that your old motor was a bit tired.