Author Topic: gt to g40...hey prestooo!!  (Read 3833 times)

Offline goosyganger

• Members
gt to g40...hey prestooo!!
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:09 pm »
Hey there all.
im not sure if has already been posted in the past so do forgive me, but i coudlnt find it through the search.

Anyway, I was after some advice. So i have a GT and want to convert it to a G40. I have the time, and between me and my mate we should be able to tackle this project, I just dont know what it may involve and whats needed.

Some questions I did have were things like, What can I use from the gt? like to start off with, can i use the old manifolds?exhaust?loom?ECU?dizzy?driveshafts? So thats the main thing really as it would give me an idea of how much i should budget around and save me buying extra stuff i dont need.

How much should I be looking at spending on a g40 engine? ive seem a few provisional prices and think that some people might be a little over enthusiatic lol. Around how much should i be budgeting for?

Also, how much would it be worth rebuilding the engine before putting it back in? ( planning to get the charger rebuilt before firing it up).

I do want to get a fair bit of power from it so what is worth doing before i put the engine in, if it hasnt already had it done?

If there is a detailed post already up somewhere just post a link and that will do me.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:33:06 pm by goosyganger »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: gt to g40...hey prestooo!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
gt you can use dizzy, fuel pumps, inlet manifold, driveshafts.

g40s are rare engines and command a premium to be honest

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »
yeah only times you really get cheap, complete g40 engines is when the seller doesn't know what they've got.  Hard to know what to budget for really, vastly different depending on how much the person who has it thinks it's worth, what condition it's in etc...  You could buy a tired one with a charger that needs a service and then have to spend best prt of a grand on it before you even get it near a car.

I'd be tempted to get the bottom end apart, check bearing clearances, rehone the bores, fit new piston rings.  None of that is hard to do and not expensive if you do the work yourself and have access to tools such as ring compressors, bore hone etc...  Depends how much you want to spend really.

Offline goosyganger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:18:36 pm »
lets say i bought a block and head, what other g40 specific parts will i need? and apart from the bits off the GT mentioned above were there any left out that can be donored?

can anyone form a list of things I would need? (I What i can think of below)

ecu (can you use the gt one?)
Loom
gearbox (can you use the gt one)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:27:02 pm »
you cant use the loom or the ecu, they are g40 specific.  The GT gearbox will work but it's ratios really arent suited to a g40 engine, theyre too close.  Either get a proper g40 ATV gearbox or a decent compromise is an 8p from a normal 1.3 mk3 polo, not great but better than a gt box.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:02 pm »
If you're doing a G40 conversion, it's worth changing your inline fuel pump. It'll cost you over £100 but that's pennies compared to the cost of repairing the damage it'll cause if it fails.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:04:01 am »
if you bought the block and head then you'd need injectors, throttle body, pipework, intercooler, knock sensor, co potentiometer, ISV, ECU, wiring loom, exhaust manifold, drivers side engine mount... off the top of my head.

added to the list above the starter motor is the same too.

Offline goosyganger

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:48 am »
If you're doing a G40 conversion, it's worth changing your inline fuel pump. It'll cost you over £100 but that's pennies compared to the cost of repairing the damage it'll cause if it fails.

just for the record what sort of damage could it cause?

and thanks for the advice so far guys.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:09 pm »
if the fuel pump fails it can cause lean running which has been known to melt pistons in g40s.  Pretty much means new engine time.