Author Topic: Making bumpers black  (Read 11417 times)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Making bumpers black
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:47 am »
I'm never too keen to recommend things in this category as the finished result can be pretty subjective. Having said that I would strongly recommend "Forever Black" bumper and trim re-conditioner. It takes a little practice to get the best finish; I did a first coat with a circular motion of the applicator, then a second using long strokes. Let it dry for a couple of hours and a light buffing left a very long(1 year?) finish.
Even my good wife can recommend this stuff. We've got a granite finish sink which has faded badly over the years and a wipe with this gives a decent looking finish that lasts several months. Don't think I can say more.

www.forevercarcareproducts.com

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
I used GTechniq C4 and found I got through a lot of the product due to the textured finish of the G40 plastic trim. But it did work.
I do think its works best on the grey/black trim colour as opposed to grey/white.

TBH I think this product is very similar and cheaper. CarPro DLux
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=263029

If you look on detailing world, loads of products are reviewed...There is loads of products that will look good in short term, but its whether you can be bothered every 2 weeks / 1 month etc

Offline rusty

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 11:19:08 am »
i once used some old black shoe polish on a mk2 golf.... never needed to re-apply after that.... haha!

Offline stu g4T

• Members
    • Edition38
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »
Have heard of people using a hot air gun to get them black again! Not sure how etc.. The very nice MaxPower GT/G40 had this done and looked damn good afterwards.

I've always used Heat Gun or Autoglym green gel.
The gel is messy and fades as it is a chemical reaction.

The heat gun causes a physical reaction on the surface of the bumper, the oxidisation / fading is effectively returned to its original state (black)

You just have to be careful, if worried practice with a few spare bumpers.

The trick is to gently heat it and keep an eye on it.
As it warms up you can see it returning to black, too far though and the bumper starts to bubble.
After a few bumpers you get a good feel and it becomes easy.

Cheers

Stuart