Author Topic: Making bumpers black  (Read 11413 times)

Offline dan182

• Members
Making bumpers black
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »
Hi what products do people use to get there bumpers and side trim back to black

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Re: Making bumpers black
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:58:32 am »
I will be plasti-Dipping mine when i have had the shell painted. Never done it myself, but seen good results.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:08:59 pm »
I'll post some results of mine when i do them this week.

I have tried some of this last year

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/

And i found it ok but didnt get the results i wanted. I prepped the bumpers correctly but it just didn't do the trick. I think if your bumpers are in a good condition you might get good results, mine weren't so results not to good.

I have just bought some forever black as i have heard that this is ment to be great stuff. I will today or tomorrow plan to do this and will post it up.

Offline vwnut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:25:03 pm »
I have used "Back to Black" before but it tends to leave black stains on your paintwork (as it is impossible to just get the product on the plastic bits) and it is a pain to get off the paintwork.

I have found the Autoglymn Bumper Care as being the best stuff as it returns your plastic to black and is easily wiped off the paintwork

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:21:19 pm »
Need to use mammoth tape when doing it to stop getting it on your paint work.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:19 pm »
Megs tyre stuff the purple one is insanely good on bumpers n that. Lasted a good month or so on mine

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:17 pm »
I used the Gtechniq stuff posted above, and found it perfect! Never had to touch them again after.
When i collect a full set I'll be doing the same again.

How did you prep them ? And what where the results?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »
My rear bumper came up well, and the sides were ok. The front bumper had soo much crap on it that you could scrape it off with your nails. after giving it a good rub it just soaked up the c4 stuff. I think i used a concentrate cleaner then alcohol wipes to clear anything left on it. I think its isopropanol? If your getting new bumpers then i would recommend it. And do them off the car. If the trim is on the car just used mammoth tape or something similar. Dont use normal masking tape a it will leave sticky marks. I'll see if i can find the pics. I only did them last summer and need doing but i bought a new front bumper so that looks mint now anyway.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:21 pm »
This is autoglym that i have always used:

And here are the results from C4 stuff:

Before

After

Results look good but if you look closely in the pics you can see small patches where it just soaked up the C4 stuff.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »
Aa shame it didnt work to well for you,
I done mine off the car, gave them aggressive rub with a grey scotch brite and soapy water, dried it off then a aggressive clean with gun wash (thinners).

Then when th c4 went on it just seemed to last forever! Considering its the size of eyedrops!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:28 pm »
Yeah 50ml is it? I dropped mine and it cracked the glass bottle so i wasted about £5 worth!

I think my bumpers were just too shagged for it.

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:05 pm »
Have heard of people using a hot air gun to get them black again! Not sure how etc.. The very nice MaxPower GT/G40 had this done and looked damn good afterwards.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »
I used Carplan Black Trim Wax, cheap stuff from Halfords, but it is really good. Do it every few months and it should look great. To be a massive gay, Jezza, i have those same wheels in black.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:20 am »
Autoglym said to me at a show a few years ago to use a heat gun whilst applying bumper care stuff. He said test a area 1st and if its ok do the whole bumper but dont get too close otherwise your melt the bumper. I think its hard to do because if you do one area a different temp or your too close etc you might get a weird looking bumper. Trial and error then your get the results.

They are good wheels. Pretty light as well.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »
I used to use boiled oil but after time it went sticky, not a fan of the heat gun,

Always used this on the G40;

Works really good and stays fresh a long time.