Author Topic: resprays  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Freddy77

• Members
resprays
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:34 pm »
What have people paid for resprays, I want to get mine done but havent got a clue what it costs and the sort of job to expect

Offline josé

• Members
Re: resprays
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:39:45 pm »
Think mine cost 700ish you saw it at santa pod last year, there's 2 very small imperfections in the paint but doesn't bother me, people pay a few grand for a spray job just depends who you get to do it etc it's best to look at places past work to get an idea of price and standard of finish/ workmanship.

Josh

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »
Similar here but we prepped the car, stripped out windows, lights, trim etc.. and helped on the sanding and polishing. He did about 4 half days on it, we did the same but then needed to rebuild it. More than happy with it and looks as good as other resprays where they have spent double and more.

Offline Freddy77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:46:45 pm »
How do you prep for a respray, I need a bit of panel work doing,
700 quid sounds very cheap, how do you remove windows.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:31 pm »
As of next week I am taking my car off the road! Dropping the engine and windows out and completely stripping it! Try and do as much as possible before handing it over. I was expecting to pay at least 1000.

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
Our prep was, all the glass out, actually easy in a Polo of this age, we pushed all ours out from the inside, life the seal in the middle at the bottom to the seam and work your way around tucking it over the seam ASAP, the door windows we wound down. We removed all of the lights/wipers, the badges, the grill, plastics, the inner arch plastics, inc the bumpers and all of the interior trim. Took an evening and half a morning. Our metal work and paint work was pretty good so less prep than most would need. It still took Chris easily a couple of half days and the two of us similar, under his guidance sanding, filling (and couple of minor dents with skim filler and a couple of pin hole rust areas with a sort of lead solder mix), priming and masking, we put it in the booth, took off the wheels, it went on axle stands with the hubs and struts all covered up. He then spent two long half days spraying it in a booth, it was left to bake in the booth for an afternoon+overnight+morning, we then re under sealed the arches and key underneath metal work and sprayed everything without new paint with wax oil. Then a half day of the three of us putting the glass back in and polishing it. Low loader (£10 to the local garage) back to our workshop/garage to have every thing put back in/on.
All went well, the new tank was a hassle until we put it up on a post lift, a two man push it around the corner 200m to the local garage, a few beers owed. Also the heater blower and rear wiper unwilling to come back to life, both are on fuse 14 so assume they are conected - so far have spent as long on them as most of the other stuff! And no success yet : (
So we did do (and are still doing) a fair bit of work on it and we undoubtably had a good deal on the respray work. Chris has been doing bodywork for 30 plus years, so very good, very efficient and works like a Trojan - that all contributed.  Its been ok for us almost fun and pretty satisfiying - looking good now. Can easily see a good re-spray of a G being around 1k plus and that's excluding metal work where needed.
Just looking at Dubstars, ours was is a piece do p...! Now his is a proper job!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:36:33 am by Lionheart »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »
£750!!! For real?! That's cheap!!! A mate of mine is having a huge workshop built with a booth and said I can paint in it any time I want. So I started working things out and for a full doors of respray I priced up materials and paint to be £1000 alone!! Let alone overheads!! Are you up north or something? If I was to paint a  G, doors on and windows out blow over I'd be charging £1500 minium to a mate!! I thought that was cheap!! The bodyshop. I work for would charge around £3000 for similar
Taylor

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:18 pm »
Taylor, is there a big difference in paint quality? would the 1500 include any bodywork?

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »
Yeah, that's cheap. It's easy to forget to factor in the expense of the raw materials (in this case paints, thinners & associated) and the consumables (filler if required, different grades of sanding pads, tack cloth etc.) Both of these things shouldn't be underestimated. £1k ain't going to be far from the truth on these two for a full on inside & out, panels off respray in base & laquer - which would require a decent amount of the things mentioned above.

And that's before the actual prep takes place - and as any good painter will tell you, 95% of a good paint job is about the prep. Most painter worth their salt will not let you 'help out' in the body prep beforehand for the simple reason that it's quicker for them to achieve the surface standard required before they blow color and they can be confident that it's all to the same standard across the car. Imagine having a dull patch on one side and blaming it on his painting skills when in reality it's some prep that he didn't do! Not to mention the cost of firing a booth up to 65 degrees for an hour which ain't getting cheaper either.

That's how the painters I know (and rate) operate anyway. The best way to save cash has already been mentioned in this thread - do all the strip work yourself so they just have to rock up and get knocking it down.

All that said, if it's an outside blow-over using half the amount of paint than obviously it'll be a lot cheaper. Could be £700 I guess - about £400 for all your materials and some labour. I doubt that's any bodywork though, just paint on the outer surfaces.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:46 am »
For £1500 yes I'd do most dents and small bits of rust, but more for larger damage

Yeah spot on dubstar, a few people I've painted for have offered to prep it themselves in hope to save money and I've refused jobs, I only EVER paint what I prep, like you say, if it's prepped Wrong and you can still see a repair or paint edge then it's me who will have to pay to fix it!

There. Are many differences between cheap and expensive martin, a few are cheap paints, they could use solvent basecoat which is very cheap and nasty, it doesn't cover well so you need 3 to 4 coats which no one ever does, this could result in seeing through to the primer and patchiness which is exactly what's happened to my G. From whoever painted it. Cheap clearcoat could have a short life span and after 5 years dull or look crap, cheap lacquers tend to be less scratch resistant and are usually medium solid resulting in a thinner paint film. Cheap primers can sink back over time leading to repairs ringing up which I have seen in sooooooo many paint jobs. Poor prep for repairs, seen this many a time at shows, one of the guys cars was painted by the famous Steve Denton and where the repaired paint edges hadn't been feathered back properly the paint had sunk back and can be seen a few years later. Even using cheap sanding discs, can lead to not enough key on the paint and pealing later on.
Materials are so expensive, people don't realise just how much stuff you need! Shit like pps cups which are like £60 for a box! Decent sanding discs are £50 a box and need various grades
When I do private jobs I only use lesonal or glasurit depending on how much and what the customer wants
Sorry for the long write up
Even things as paint Guns! If your paying cheap for a job I doubt they have good guns which makes a big difference to the end result and paint film thickness
Taylor

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:29 pm »
Yeah the blow-over I had in 2004 had cheap lacquer, the bonnet went flat and so did bits of the roof. Not flat flat but the shine was disappearing rapidly. I'd love to have mine acid dipped one day and start from a completely bare shell but it's not really worth it on a Polo. Let alone one that's been as had as much tinkering as mine, it's hardly an unmolested classic.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:22:28 am »
I paid two grand for my grey one. That included all plastic trim, bumpers, mirrors etc. I stripped and rebuilt it so gave him bare doors, tailgate etc and a bare rolling shell with no glass.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 08:04:18 pm »
Yeah the blow-over I had in 2004 had cheap lacquer, the bonnet went flat and so did bits of the roof. Not flat flat but the shine was disappearing rapidly. I'd love to have mine acid dipped one day and start from a completely bare shell but it's not really worth it on a Polo. Let alone one that's been as had as much tinkering as mine, it's hardly an unmolested classic.

Looked good when i last saw it, not sure when that was, but i no i liked it!
Not that i know what I'm looking at any way!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:54 pm »
Looked good when i last saw it, not sure when that was, but i no i liked it!
Not that i know what I'm looking at any way!
Thanks - it's been painted since though - in 2011. New job is pukka. :)