Author Topic: Trials and tribulations of a cheap G40  (Read 70833 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Re: Trials and tribulations of a cheap G40
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2015, 09:15:49 pm »
Cooling system is now in, plenty of cutting hoses due to the front end shortening.first

Will need to modify the fuel pump wiring as it's on a remote switch for track use, and the fuel pump is positioned in the footwell behind the drivers seat so it's loud. I have a bracket but still need fresh fuel lines

Will get it running first though

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »
So progress has been good, putting in mornings and evenings to get her done as i am finally moving out of my parents house and into a flat.

Front end view with trial fit oil cooler. snug but not many options

And as i cut the bonnet latch support pillar out i have to pop some bonnet pins in, holes for bonnet rubbers looked to be cock on

As the bonnet is double layered i had to make a nick in one of the existing slits to drop the inner support plate through

All fits a treat

Now i came across some interesting soldering while checking the bumper indicators. My OCD went wild so had to re do it

and ...

with a cheeky bit of heat shrink for good measure.

Just before i got the proper oil cooler position, but clears the charger nicely and a bit of slack in the pipes to accommodate engine movement

Grille back on

and my freshly soldered indicators in the bumper and reattached

With the engine and loom looking so clean i couldn't let the washers hoses let it down

So knocked up a new set in black (stealth)

And after a final engine check tomorrow i will be starting it up. With the freshly charged battery

Will drop the plugs out and disconnect the hall sender so that i can build some oil pressure up and then get it all timed up wth the blue temp unplugged.

Lets hope its a good start to the weekend
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:41:12 pm by physicsfool »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »
Looks amazing dude! Can't wait to hear about your first drive in a G for agesss!

Offline MartinB

• Members
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »
Lovely work, can't beat the look of a G40 lump in a Mk2 engine bay  :)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »
Well, did you get it started :)

Hope it went well. Looks awesome, well done. The oil cooler and intercooler position is spot on. Jealous of the mk 2 shell :(

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:27 pm »
Hmmmmmmm.... not quite yet, had a loom related issue

and ....

and i reckon this is the connector that caused the issue

Chap has been really good about taking it back and replacing it, bad news is that its taken the coil and some of the internal loom with it

But he has refunded the dolla to replace all of the parts.

So tomorrow night i am going to start replacing the interior loom and putting the new coil on

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2015, 12:06:38 am »
WOW, that is unfortunate :( How quickly did that happen?

That's decent of the chap.

I have had problem after problem after problem. From the moment I started stripping the engine back in November 2013, to now, where I still don't have it on the road. Hopefully, it will be on the road this week...

Hope you have better luck than me :) couldn't be hard lol.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
Yeah it happened immediately, this will give me the opportunity to relocate the fuel pump back to its original place. But replacing the whole interior loom is going to be a pain.

Haha i agree its a bloody nuisance, how far are you off now? i thought you had it running?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:15 am »
It was running. Ran it in, took it to get it mapped but the guy didn't have an EPROM emulator and so tried to get it running on the larger injectors/larger map sensor which he somehow did, but it ran badly. So popped the standard injectors back in and he gave me a rough map to get me back home. I'm waiting on a chip from Andy which should arrive soon to suit the larger map sensor and injectors, then take it back to get mapped.

Getting it mapped is my only issue :(

Best of luck with yours. Really unfortunate that happened. Its probably killing you to know if it will run ok etc. haha.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
So, here goes sorting my electrical issues.

Firstly i wanted to replace the interior loom as it got damaged. and sort the fuel pump wiring out at the same time.

And as i used a mk2f loom i realised i was going to have a few rear light and indicator/ignition plug issues. So got cracked on and changed the ignition barrels over and casings as you can see the bottom screw hole is a few mm over so wouldnt fit the mk2f indicator stalk. Also the door locks are on their way out so this gave me a chance to replace all the locks and use only one key. Plus this loom is wired up to an immobiliser.

And after a bit of tweeking it all fits a treat

But had to replace the handbrake sensor and little bits like that as the mk2f loom has different connectors to the previous mk2 interior loom, this has also allowed me to use my G clocks

and by the fuse box

So i just need to sort the rear lights but i have all the relevant bits of loom so shouldnt be too difficult.

Now this is where the frustration started, received the refurb loom that caused the electrical issue last time. But wasnt happy with the finish
Missing grommets

He didnt replace the heat damaged wire on this loom

and forgot the protective outer here

So i have decided to ask for a refund and stick with a 20 year old factory jobbie. Another delay but i am getting used to them 

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2015, 05:03:07 pm »
So having replaced the internal loom, i got hold of markG40T after he mentioned he has fuel lines off a clean mk2f.

so swapped him some seats and racing seatbelts and got the fuel lines and genesis interior

Seats

rears, and even door cards and seatbelts

Dash back in with the Clocks thats go with this engine

and wheel

Light was starting to go

and the buttons dont look quite right, but will do for now

Finally sorting the loom and rewrapping. Soooooo much insulation tape

and i cleaned up the fuel lines... all falling into place for this weekend

Offline markg40T

• Members
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
All looking good, Glad to be of service with the bits. Hopefully you will be turning the key soon.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2015, 11:40:00 am »
Day finally came to install the fuel lines, i was going to live with the current set up but decided last minute to appease the ocd and sort the fuel lines out.

The old girl showing us what she is made of, i popped some axle stands in before doing work. Safety first

Fresh filter and some zip ties

Then i measured up the fuel pump bracket to the back chassis and popped some rivet nuts in

After drilling a hole in the boot for the fuel pump wire and routing the breather and fuel lines over the tank i screwed it all into place

Now to fit the final piece of loom and get her started. But the next 2 weekends will be spent drinking continental larger and reducing my coefficient of friction. So will put that on hold for a little while longer, also hoping to hear back from York city council about a garage soon, which will make storage and tinkering a lot easier

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2015, 06:49:21 am »
Looking good Martin! You've put some right graft into this , enjoy having a few weekends off pal!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »
Poor effort on my part. Well it runs and lives. Still a few niggling issues.... Like it tends to stall when changing down gears from about 2k. But apart from that I am chuffed.

Sold the Ronals to make way for some questionable gold painted steelies

And I finally moved out of my parents house again. But the first floor one bed flat doesn't have a garden or garage to speak of... So work takes place on the road

Swapped by Vauxhall set up for Etches VW11 one. Only needed fresh bleed nipples and throwing on the car

While I was at it I rebled the brakes with an easy bleed kit donated by my neighbour.... He must get the skint student vibe

While I was at it I had a quick peer at the suspension, looks to be a cheapo set up which isn't very forgiving. So I have invested in a bilstein/eibach combo

I like my mk2 shell, it doesn't owe me a penny, however it's full of holes, leaks from all the doors and sunroof and is 50 shades of red. So I am giving to give it to my mate as a project and hopefully re shelling into a 2f G shell in the near future. First the club polo track day though which has prompted me to ditch the skinny steelies and suit up some 13" Ra's with fresh rubber