Author Topic: ohhhh i am so close to doing something stupid...  (Read 5339 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
ohhhh i am so close to doing something stupid...
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:32:14 pm »
Since selling my share of the garage back in Feb and having the Poolo down at the bodyshop for over 7 months with them not touching it, despite visits every couple of weeks to see if they have progressed with it after i cut the top mount turrets off it and dropped them down the new laser cut plates, all i get is shite excuses for why they havent been able to do it. The bloke who was going to do the work has quit and works else where...

Now that im busy doing building work, about to buy a house to renovate and needing every last penny, i am coming to terms with the fact that i have well and truely fallen out of love with the G.. The shell is currently in such a state. Im skint 'Polo' wise. I have no where to work on it really. I have space being taken up by a mountain of parts...

So do i sell and recoup a fairly large sum of money from the parts/shell? Do i keep it and try and find some love and money for it next year when things are financially brighter for me? If i sell it am i going to look back and regret it. 6-7 years of work, time and not to mention ££££'s wasted. It was also my first car when i was 16 so i have owned it for 12 years now.

Dilemma im sure many people have had and been through, kicking myself as i really dont want to sell it but am i kidding myself when i tell myself i will finish it... arrrrggggghhhhhh!

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: ohhhh i am so close to doing something stupid...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:12 pm »
Tough situation.

If it was me I would sell up and get the house sorted out - you won't have time to piss about with the polo when you need do so much to a house.

Once you have got the house sorted out and you have the time spend on a car then you can always buy another G40 and start a fresh.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »
Is there not even a small area where you can store it under a cover or something until the time comes to sort it? maybe you need to think back to the last time you drove it and remember how good it felt.

In reality though I suppose you need to put your priorities first.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:28 pm »
Tarp it and save it for a rainy day. I am selling all my motocross gear and making a colossal loss, but it is the nature of the beast. For sentimental reasons i would keep the vehicle until it becomes a burden. Then sell/break to recoup

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:08:49 am »
Keep the shell and sell the expensive bits - you can always buy those bits again at a later date once you are all sorted with the house.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 10:32:03 am »
Keep the shell and sell the expensive bits - you can always buy those bits again at a later date once you are all sorted with the house.
This.

I'd keep the shell and any bits that you'll make an epic loss on, or are difficult to source - and flog the rest if you need the cash. Harsh as it sounds, the shell's probably not going to fetch you much cash in the scheme of things anyway.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »
I've put my Polo on hold for a year.  Currently spending £7k on windows/doors next month.  Bought a kitchen for about £6k in summer.  Next year hopefully be back in a position to play.  I've kept the Polo though, as I'm coming back to it.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »
As Robin says, keep the shell and Haug kit - those parts will be very hard to shift for decent money.

Sell more common desirable items, wheels, suspension, engine etc.

Whack money into house

Think about Polo plans whilst working on house

Build big garage for Polo

Continue building sick Polo  ;D

I've hardly done anything on mine this year due to moving house, I intend to do lots next year now things are a little more settled  :)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 10:04:31 pm »
It really is a sticky situation for me. I think i am going to hold out until spring and see what the vibe is. Whats another 1/4 of a year after 6-7? I do like the idea of selling the expensive parts like the engine, wheels turbo etc that will be easy to source at a later date. Food for thought...  ::)

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:17:59 am »
I notice you mention holding out for a few more month so maybe that has come around again. As I was one of those who sold all my bits of G40 years ago I totally regretted it and have since bought another! and now buying all the bits back :-)

To be honest my car was crash and written off (it actually is still in my mums garage to this day....oops) so it seemed at the time th right thing to do to sell, but that engine was a great loss!

Anyway think keep and sort at a later date.:-)