Author Topic: Electrical nonsense  (Read 2497 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Electrical nonsense
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:30:35 pm »
So when i reduced the screw on the TB to lower the idle it cleared my erratic idle issue, however whenever i start my car now it comes up with the battery light and remains until i blip accelerator and it disappears for good? is this common?

my instrument display light dims and brightens, on and just after start up depending on my how much accelerator i give. again this has just started.

I also stupidly forgot to disconnect the earth cable while i swapped gearboxes a few weekends back. mid change i heard a loud bang and small plume of smoke come from the starter motor area. and subsequently starting has become an issue. is there any way i can confirm its the starter motor that's shagged or should i just invest?

Cheers

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Electrical nonsense
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »
Could be starter, or probably more likely to be the starter wiring harness that's buggered as it's unfused.

If you've got the right alternator (and pulley ratio) it's worth checking the integrity of the blue alternator sense wiring too. New harnesses for the alternator to starter section are available from VW Heritage.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:24:12 pm »
Ah cheers Andy,

Is the starter wiring harness a simple job?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
Dashboard light on start up's a G trait. Lights brightening on increased revs is OK though.
Alternator output is linked to battery via solenoid which is an odd cost saver/circuit simplifier I suppose, but a short here might be giving you the starting problems.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »
Cheers, I will check the solenoid this weekend