Author Topic: Wurth PTFE Grease  (Read 6785 times)

Offline Jimmy B

• Members
Wurth PTFE Grease
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:23 am »
I need some grease for my charger and I've heard that the Wurth stuff is the best, I'm currently away in Germany and they have the Dry Film PTFE Lubricant - is this the correct stuff does anyone know?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Wurth PTFE Grease
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:38 am »
Its hhs grease

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »
Never understood starting grease in the inlet... I've never had issue that could be resolved or prevented by spraying grease in the charger!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:20:10 am »
you need to lubricate the charger or it wont last very long.  The oil breather normally does this for you.  If you have removed the boost return pipe then the oil breather is no longer lubricating the charger scroll so you need to spray grease in every so often.

It's not about fixing a problem.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:22 pm »
Well you'll have a problem if you didnt spray it in right?

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:25 pm »
It'll wear quicker   ;)

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »
Hmm, I wrote a lot more than 1 line...
Happend before on here.....

I run the boost return pipe, but with the breather to a catch tank, my standerd charger (65mm pulley) has seen a lot of miles, serviced every 40k and is in superb condition, best ive ever seen!
Who/where does it say the breather is supose to lube the charger? I just cant belive that.

I'm happy to be the minority and disbelive the advice. I just think you shouldn't spraying any kind of grease in the inlet, I'd say it'll do more bad than good! But hey! What do i know.

I supose my boost return still returns oil to the charger tho.

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:50:13 pm »
After pete showing me the pitting damage on the scroll of 1 of my past g-laders i use ptfe haven't seen any damage like it since ,   each to their own ,  ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:54:38 pm »

Who/where does it say the breather is supose to lube the charger? I just cant belive that.

Who? Well at a guess vw when they designed it.

Breather serves a few purposes, emissions i believe and also one of them being to lubricate the charger. When you put your foot down and that return butterfly closes, to create boost pressure, that charger doesn't just suck air from the inlet from the filter, its also sucks from the breather from the crank as this has to be able to breathe. This creates a mist of oil that in turn lubricates the charger. In some cases it also cakes the filter in oil. This is normally why the charge pipes will have some oil inside them.

If the charger doesn't get some form of lubrication something will dry out and fail.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:13 pm »
I completely understand what you say and the concept, but i cant agree,
VW didnt exactly have there head screwd on when designing certain aspects of the polo we all love,
Battery location, boost pipe routing, to name a few..
I undertand the breather aiding emissions, most cars have them going to the air box.
Even if it were for lubrication, spraying grease is a bit of a heavy alternative dont you think?

Also VW say a Glader is listed as a non servicable item, and only sell 1 O ring, when we all know thats not correct.
Im yet to find real evidence as oposed to hear say that the breather is a lubracant.
Id love to be shut up and proved wrong, but we dont all share the same opinion and belive what were told.
Peace x

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:52:39 pm »
Unfortunatly those VW designers aren't on call to prove you wrong however I think a little bit of engineering sense is enough to recognise that two bits of metal (with a little sealing strip) rubbing together at high speed requires some kind of lubricant.
All charger rebuilds I have had came back with this grease in the charger, it's not as if it goes any further than the charger it just clings to the surfaces of the charger.

With regards to VW not servicing the G-Ladar it's always down to cost, thats why they lasted like 5 years on any VW and then they dumped the idea, much like the Twin charged Golfs....great idea but turbo technology these days can equal the same as they were getting with the twin charger set-up and it costs so much less. ( I have a Twin charged TSI, great engines but riddled with issues).

All car manufacturers seem to do things that make no sense but actually it's because cars were never made to be dismantled in a shed/garage but only ever at a VW dealers garage with the correct "special"tools, I found this when taking my MK5 golf apart, you wouldn't believe the amount of jobs require an engine out! but VW have a platform that simply drop the engine out with the entire running gear so make it an easy job for them but not for us :-[

Anyway as you say each to their own.  8)