Author Topic: Hi guys long time!  (Read 5033 times)

Offline paulg40

• Members
Hi guys long time!
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:14 pm »
Ok so just won a G40 on eBay bringing my 8 year spree of no g40s. My life to an end...or so I thought. On doing an HPI check it comes up as a CAT C from back in 2002.

This car is in mint condition and I'm gutted about this. Needless to say I haven't paid for it yet. The guy says he knew nothing about it and has all receipts for it, it has one for a new drivers side wing which could be it?

Anyway he would have to lower the price if I were to still be interested.

Does anyone know anything about this car? j406 HHU, black g40. Worth a try.

Cheers Paul.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Hi guys long time!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:09:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that Paul, but as you say a v-car is automatically half the price. Would you still buy it if they move on price?

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:41:33 pm »
To be honest I'd consider if the price was lowered then make sure it's fine and spend the saved money on upgrades! :-)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »
I'd not worry about it too much, as long as it's structurally sound and looks straight and honest. I doubt G40s are ever going to massively appreciate, and given how old they are I'd be more concerned about general condition today rather than what happened to the car 11 years ago.

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:18:45 pm »
thought all cat c were on log book
seller would not let me view it on Friday saturday or sunday morning as im 5 mins away from the car.

if you look closly at inerwing on os its starting to rust
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:24:16 pm by chris2911 »

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 09:17:01 pm »
Andy, you kinda hit the nail on the head there and its basically what I am thinking. This time I am buying to have a car to run and have fun. Plus with these cars the engine is always worth more than the car and in this case I think the car is basically worth the engine, interior and wheels! so about £1800. I can get a mint condition G40 for about 3-4k if that floats my boat but the problem being I want to drive it and probably get it up to the standard my old one was. You guys know me! I like to fiddle with these things. They were built to drive and they are a drivers car!

So essentially I'll go along and everything I find that contradicts his listing I'll knock price down and I don't mind walking. Will see what happens.

Funnily Vosa have not got a VIC marker on it and he has a new V5 plus if it was requiring a VIC test it would not be issued a new tax disc which it has had many times since the Cat C was issued. Any thoughts on this?

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:28 am »
back for sale for 300 more than you won it for still no mention on it being cat C

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:54:14 am »
back for sale for 300 more than you won it for still no mention on it being cat C

naughty

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:24 pm »
Yeah spotted it today. Hmm happy I walked. The inner wing was indeed not straight and if you look down the car on the drivers side I'm sure the front wheel has a camber on it more than it should. Anyway its tyres are totally shot and has oil dropping all over. Not to mention a dent in the b-pillar. Looks like someone has also tried to get inside as the top of the drivers door is a mess. Sunroof has a massive scrape. Generally not in the immaculate condition. Oh and still no mention of the Cat C. He is a trader as well so surely this is illegal?

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:56:41 pm »
I was only interested in the electric sunroof if it was VAG then sell the car one but its in too poor
condition to do this and he would not allow me to view it know why now

went to view today for a laugh he said I would not find a better example (haha)
i tried to get him to admit it was cat c with no evail
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:31:42 pm by chris2911 »