Author Topic: T323 JHB  (Read 69467 times)

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
T323 JHB
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:32:25 pm »
Right - lets have a look what we bought! It appears to have been built in 1992 - chassis prefix N, dates on plastic parts from 1991-early 1992. It has 2 oil pressure switches, clocks with temp light, no belt guides on rear quarter trim panels and early spare wheel/towing eye/wheelbrace stowage. It also has no cig lighter or grab handles above the doors!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: T323 JHB
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »
You need to be really careful with the roof lining then!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »
Bodywork wise its a twenty year old car. Its had a poor respray at some point and had windows + trim etc. masked up. Dents, scratches and chips painted over. Some would say its not too bad for its age and I am a picky bastard but the description of "almost immaculate" is not how I'd describe it. I see my grey car as almost immaculate. Anyways it will be getting a full strip and respray at some point. The passenger door is the least straight panel but should be able to make a good 'un out of it. The paint is flaking at various points where it was masked up to windows/trim so further need for a proper job. Its really hard to photograph but there seems to be white flecks under the laquer over most of the car
Generally though the dents are pretty minor and the sills and arches seem to be tip top and it has the potential to be a truly beautiful example.

I have always been fussy about paint!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
The not so good bits - all four tyres well perished - not really a problem. The broken front badge was held on with a lump of silicone sealer and the rear badge is broken in two - hey ho. The front bumper and a couple of trim pieces are scuffed up - I have some spares but will be on the lookout for a new/better bumper. The screen seal is full of rusty water - hopefully I can sort this before the screen frame rots. By far the worst part of the car is the bit I looked at first, the battery tray. Its totally rotted out and been "repaired" with fibreglass leaving no way for any water to run off. Quality. Had to knock some coin off for this - its gonna be a ballache to do a proper job of this!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »
Shame Steve, it looked like a solid car, I suppose at this age the all have their secrets.

Still, if there's someone who can restore it to its former glory, it's you! What's the plan?

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
I'm gonna replace the master cylinder and possibly put a spare servo on to get the brakes up to par. Then replace the tyres and fit a new battery before getting it MOT'd. I'll do some miles in it to ensure its all in order before it gets stripped for some paint. Seems to drive fine other than the weak brakes so hopefully wont need much mechanical work. Probably strip it in the spring so I can do the restoration work without freezing my cock off!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 02:19:29 pm »
Threw the crappy aftermarket stereo away and reinstated the super poverty spec blanking plate that was in the boot. Think this is how it came when new. Just noticed that it has side impact door bars - don't know what date these were used from - perhaps someone knows this?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »
Usually from late k plate

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:43:52 pm »
You need to be really careful with the roof lining then!
Yeah - I might find it difficult to find a replacement!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
Fair doos. I'd like to find out which lights it came with originally. The orange side repeaters suggest it should have orange indicator lenses and early tail lights. I have vague memories of seeing the green T reg at E38 years ago sporting orange indicators but time may have damaged the brain cells involved!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:48 pm »
Mine's an August '92 K-plate and has them, but it's a breadvan - so possibly Coupes might be different?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »
it'll be a mismatch of build date to registration date.... only looked at g40s tbh and they probably stood around longer than lower specced cars.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 09:23:46 pm »
The other one T reg I've seen had clear front indicators and later smoked rears, but I'm guessing the guy changed them.

cool that it has no sunroof.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »
It would appear that the only optional extras it has are tinted glass and a faintly musty odour to the upholstery.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »
Got the log book back this week so I've started to prepare for the MOT. Wheels are off for powder coating and new tyres, new battery installed and new master cylinder fitted. Also got the screen washers working and fitted new wiper blades. Should hopefully have it taxed and MOT'd in time for GTI Festival at Santa Pod on October 13th