Author Topic: Blyton Track Day Pics and videos  (Read 14303 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Blyton Track Day Pics and videos
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »
Looks high man!

yeah had to raise the ride height as the slicks were scrubbing the arches

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »
Random video of the rear wheel which was lifting through the corners.

http://youtu.be/_CXq7WcFFss

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:44 pm »
Awesome videos! she got an absolute pasting! the revs hardly dropped below 5500rpm!!
nice driving too!! there aint much that cant keep up with you haha

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:31 pm »
Haha, its like top gear are testing the new clio again with all the tripodding

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 11:08:15 am »
Looking forward to seeing videos at home when I get in from work.

Looks like the outside of your tyre took a pasting.  Any thoughts on camber/castor and how the tyre is being heated when used?  Gut instinct is that the car would have been heavily working the outside of the tyre due to getting into postive camber under cornering and hence the uneven wear.

300lb/in sounds maybe a little soft for slicks?  375 front, 600 rear is used on a Nova (similar) here for sprints and that was only on ACB10 cross-plys.  Had a plate diff so maybe the rear rate is a little high comapred to some cars.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:11:26 am by Tav »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:36 am »
That rear is a mental spring rate  :o

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »
Sweet videos, 1st one is wicked, even took that s2000 a while to catch you up. 2nd one looked like the polo was a handful, awesome driving and looks alot of fun.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
That rear is a mental spring rate  :o

Aye it's quite hefty poundage.  Car was a record holder though so must have been doing something right.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 04:21:14 pm »
Is his spring rate compensation for something else the regs won't allow though?

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
Don't think so, class B is pretty free.  Can move pickup points, use spherical bearings...just need to keep the wheel base.  I reckon it'll prob. be to get it to turn in with the brutal diff.

Just checked his gallery.  Looks like the spring is a fair bit up the rear beam, so motion ratio is softening off the wheel rate a good bit.  Might only be 3-400 at the wheel.

Running 5.25 degrees castor and just 0.5 camber which sounds good.

Watched your in car vid Robin.  Looks quick!  Funny how quiet it is, you'd think with all that power it'd sound like an animal.  Under steer doesn't look too bad either, you do well to control it.  Does look a little 'bouncy' in the video like someone mentioned earlier.  Prob. under damped.  Some revalved shockers would prob. be an idea at those spring rates...bilsteins perhaps?

Steering wheel looks good!!!

Has anyone looked at the geometry on framed cars?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:06:51 pm by Tav »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:36:28 pm »
Don't think so, class B is pretty free.  Can move pickup points, use spherical bearings...just need to keep the wheel base.  I reckon it'll prob. be to get it to turn in with the brutal diff.

Just checked his gallery.  Looks like the spring is a fair bit up the rear beam, so motion ratio is softening off the wheel rate a good bit.  Might only be 3-400 at the wheel.

Running 5.25 degrees castor and just 0.5 camber which sounds good.

Watched your in car vid Robin.  Looks quick!  Funny how quiet it is, you'd think with all that power it'd sound like an animal.  Under steer doesn't look too bad either, you do well to control it.  Does look a little 'bouncy' in the video like someone mentioned earlier.  Prob. under damped.  Some revalved shockers would prob. be an idea at those spring rates...bilsteins perhaps?

Steering wheel looks good!!!

Has anyone looked at the geometry on framed cars?

do rose joints really make that much difference?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Blyton Track Day Pics
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »
What spring rate are the helpers? If they're weedy, then they'll be coil-bound anyway and not affecting your spring rate. My Gaz helpers are coil-bound when static.

Do you know what the stock FK spring rate was? Might be that the dampers are too soft for the springs too.

I might be ditching my 325lb front springs soon, will let you know if you wanted to try harder ones.

Just checked the suspension and Andy you were right - helpers are completely coil bound so it looks like either the damping is all to cock or I need stiffer springs.

Not sure what the spring rate is for the original springs.

I will go for a pair of stiffer springs for the front and see if they make a difference at Oulton - probably try some 400's.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:59 am »
KWs are 285lb ish at the front, and I thought that Henry's FKs felt softer so I'd go with damping before putting any stiffer springs on. Mine hardly rolls at all with 325lb on the front and dampers set to match.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:23 pm »
I agree, here's a pic of mine with 275/160 spring rates in a second gear corner on slicks:

Static height:

Our cars aren't far off each other suspension wise, although my track is 70mm or so wider (which accounts for something)

Combination of ride height and soft dampers? I always thought you could adjust the FK setup?

Tav- yes both Andy and I have spent some time and cash with Chris at CofG, waiting to test mine on track, and will post results.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »
Will be go to hear, I do think about chopping in for stage 3 at some point.  But it's cage + poly windows and all sorts for that class.  Interested to hear what the results are for you guys first.