Author Topic: An early question on winter lay-up.  (Read 3052 times)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
An early question on winter lay-up.
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:24:45 am »
Reading an article on fuel degradation which apparently happens over quite a surprisingly short period. Along with the degradation comes a corrosive effect which can attack most of the components in your fuel system, both metals and plastics. This brought to mind a neighbours saying that when he was in the forces, fuel that would not be used within three months was treated with an additive to prevent this degradation. Anyone got any idea as to what this stuff is and where it might be sourced ?

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Re: An early question on winter lay-up.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »
I bought some fuel stabiliser from Amazon. You should also be able to get it from some Motor Factors :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »
In the Fleet Air Arm (navy) it can get stored for quite long periods, but if it expires it use by date, they usually test it and then either chuck it or re use it. Probably do lots of other things to it.

In avtur they use some sort of biocide to stop microbial.

Also use lots of additives, biggest ones are anti icing and a corrosion inhibitor in the fuel, corrosion one could be handy.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
I bought some fuel stabiliser from Amazon. You should also be able to get it from some Motor Factors.

Many thanks for the info; didn't think it was so readily available.
                                                                                         John.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
John- to be honest I'd not bother, run it as low as you dare, leave for winter, and then in spring fill up with fresh fuel.

Only real way to stop the fuel degrading due to oxygen exposure it to store it under a nitrogen blanket of gas...

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:13 am »
I've run the tank right down before, but nowadays I tend to fire the engine up for about a minute once a week, just enough to keep oil where oil should be. The Nitrogen's interesting because many years ago, a Physicist I worked with used to drop a couple of lumps of Cardice (Co2)into his tank before laying up his beloved MG. Truth to tell, I thought he was a nutter, but probably this worked pretty well the same way as Nitrogen.