Author Topic: Automotive jobs  (Read 21088 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Automotive jobs
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:05:10 pm »
Being a car forum, i thought what a better place to ask :)
does anyone on here do any awesome or obscure jobs related to cars/motorsports?
just curious as to whats out there

been working at BMW for the last 4 years and its shit to put it nicely, thinking of going to uni. i love cars so want to study something automotive and mechanical related. but dont know what, mechanical engineering looks awesome, but i dont really understand what sort of jobs you get from that. im good with my hands being a sprayer and mechanic, but cant stand hours of sitting in a class room writing about maths and crap. which i suppose limits what i can do :(

sooo what do people do? and do you enjoy it?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Automotive jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:14:41 pm »
Mechanical Engineering is the bread and butter of most engineering tbh, it's a ticket to most engineering jobs. I've just graduated doing Aerospace engineering which is 80% mechanical 20% systems and electrical. Defo a good move trying out uni dude although it's a costly game now!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »
im not bothered about costs, id rather be in a job i love in lots of debt than what im in at the moment for the rest of my life!
what was the course like? loads of maths? i dont mind physics as i find it interesting, just cant stand math lol

what are you trying to get into? aerospace r&d? mechanical engineering seems too vast if you know what i mean. it doesnt lead to a specific job as such

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:45 pm »
Pretty much everything tbh, graduate schemes mostly. From where Robin works at Bentley doing a Manufacturing Scheme to Fords Engine development and Mclarens Road section Aerodynamycist. Not having much luck mind, looking to move south though!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »
Worth registering here:
http://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/apprentices/#

I know if you get on a JLR apprenticeship you eventually get the opportunity to go on and study for a degree if you want to. At least that way you're earning whilst studying, and you already have a foot in the door with an employer.

They also offer Undergraduate opportunities too (basically summer jobs during your uni holidays).

Other places to look for OEM opportunities are Toyota (based near Derby), Honda (Swindon), Nissan (Sunderland and Cranfield), BMW, McLaren, Ford, Vauxhall etc.

I got into automotive via an Electronic Engineering degree - which obviously makes more sense if that's the side of automotive you want to get into, and with increasing popularity of hybrids and other complex automotive electrical systems it's working okay for me. Probably makes less sense if you want to go and design engines though!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:40 pm »
Cheers for that Andy :) though ive been put off apprenticeships, they are the biggest load of crap IMO, ive done two now, they arnt worth shit!
Once you finish one after 3 years and being paid under minimum wage you manager refuses to pay you more, so what do you do? quite simply look for another job, all is good now you are "fully qualified" oh but wait, during your many many interviews with potential employers you tell them that youve been doing to job for 4 years, (3 training and 1 fully qualified) apparently thats not enough experience, so you get rejected from most jobs and the few that do accept you are only willing to pay you pittance and use you as a skivvy. definitely not doing another apprenticeship lol. both my apprenticeships were with BMW and its the biggest load of crap

that does sound good about working for them whilst on uni breaks

yeah, your ahead of the game there andy! bmw release their new hybrid next year :)
and the fully electronic cars

what exactly does your brother do andy?
i would love to do R&D in motorsport technology with engines. i went on a day release at college to a uni once, learning, designing and fabricating exhausts manifolds, how size, shape etc effects engine behavior, as well as rolling road remapping, starting off with a blank map and having to build it yourself for different situations, (most power, most economical) that was awesome! id love to do that!. but its all math based :(

whats the manufacturing scheme that robin does tom? 
how come not much luck? theres not much down south mate! other than a green g40 on axle stands its expensive down here!! especially compared to up there,was talking to pete about that and difference is insane!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:37:02 pm »
An OEM engineering centre based apprenticeship is very different to a dealership one. I'm told that JLR pay their apprentices well too - but best to do your own research as I've no first-hand experience.

Whereabouts are you based down south?

Peter is a Powertrain Engineer on the engines side of things.

Motorsport often sounds (and looks) glamourous, but the reality can be that it's bastard hard work and not always as sexy as the public image suggests. Your uni experience sounds like a good one - only thing I'd say is that there aren't many automotive jobs where you get to do a whole spectrum of different design tasks. At the bigger OEMs it's rare that the exhaust manifold design geek would get fully involved with engine calibration ('mapping') for example, so you can find yourself in a role where it's like groundhog day - and mostly spent in front of a PC.

On the other hand, if you want to use/develop a broader spectrum of experiences/skills (like I did!), looking at a consultancy isn't a bad way of doing it. I started off at Ricardo, and learnt an awful lot - and got exposed to a whole range of different experiences I wouldn't have got that quickly at an OEM. These days I work for Tata in the UK, where we have a relatively small team, so there's plenty of opportunity to get involved in a range of things - which I like as the variety keeps me interested.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »
Ah ok, i will look into it then, i didnt know there was a difference thought OEM apprenticeships were dealer ones. everyone from both my apprenticeships were from dealers

Im in Winchester mate, probably the most expensive place outside of London lol

there was lots of other things at the uni too, i suppose it covers a wide range of aspects of motorsport, but in reality you can only pick one as a job. well unless your a tuning company? then you may have the chance to dip into a bit of everything
just looked up ricardo, must be pretty dam hard to get a job at a place like that!

yeah, lack of variety quickly ruins a job, Tata own JLR is that how you know so much about it? do you think its worth contacting Ricardo? do they do apprenticeships as such?

thanks Andy, that was some dam good info, glad you said about the motorsport side of things

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:22:16 am »
Lets set up a business  :). I can programme and you can do all things car related. Winning combo

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 06:35:58 am »
Im currently on an engineering apprenticeship with cobra motorsport/seats, loving every minute of it, as my project I get to design and build my own car interior, im able to get ridiculous discounts on car parts, attend a large amount of really good car shows and  the best thing is I get to work on so many awsome cars, theres currently a 1000bhp nissan gtr in the workshop.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:49:46 am »
Woah! That sounds awesome! Why couldnt my apprenticeship have been like that! Whereabouts do you work? Is it a cobra main plant?

Yes Martin! Sounds like a plan :P

im gonna apply to birmingham to do mechanical engineering (automotive)
you need good grades in maths and physics, but if your a mature student with a good back ground they are more flexible, so with any luck!
it seems a bit all too genral, like where and what are the jobs related to it? I need to talk to someone lol

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:24 am »
Ah ok, i will look into it then, i didnt know there was a difference thought OEM apprenticeships were dealer ones. everyone from both my apprenticeships were from dealers

Im in Winchester mate, probably the most expensive place outside of London lol

there was lots of other things at the uni too, i suppose it covers a wide range of aspects of motorsport, but in reality you can only pick one as a job. well unless your a tuning company? then you may have the chance to dip into a bit of everything
just looked up ricardo, must be pretty dam hard to get a job at a place like that!

yeah, lack of variety quickly ruins a job, Tata own JLR is that how you know so much about it? do you think its worth contacting Ricardo? do they do apprenticeships as such?

thanks Andy, that was some dam good info, glad you said about the motorsport side of things
I know that JLR do/did apprenticeships at dealers; in engineering centres and for production line staff. It's the middle one I'd be aiming for if you wanted a career in engineering.

If you're in Winchester, Honda at Swindon; BMW/Mini near Oxford; McLaren in Woking or Ricardo near Brighton are probably amongst the closest!

I know that Ricardo have taken on a few apprentices in the past, but there doesn't seem to be any info on their website at the moment - they tend to focus more on their graduate intake.

Worth looking at automotive recruitment agencies too. MatchTech and Jonathan Lee seem to be currently quite popular.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:11 am »
I make the tea, and a damn fine 'cuppa it is too  ;)

You don’t get an engineering degree, without a heavy maths content. Most Universities will display cars, workshops, facilities as though you spend all your time in them, you won’t! You will be swearing at a calculator for hours.

If what I gather is correct, you’re not keen on maths (I’m yet to find an engineer who is) I would suggest you look at a HND rather than a degree.

-   Maths content is usually reduced
-   Less onus on exams, more focus on coursework / projects
-   Shorter course (usually 2 years ‘full time’)
-   If you choose the right course, you can top up to a degree with an extra year / 18months of study at a later date

I chose this route, and learnt a good degree of practical skill with my HND a degree didn’t offer, I then topped up to a degree, which offered a good deal of academic skill the HND didn’t offer, and at the end of 3 years came out with 2 qualifications and a negative bank balance 

I started off as a contractor for Bentley in the Engine Test Beds, and then got made permanent after 18 months, stayed there for another 18 months before moving to the West Midlands to forward my career and been down here for 2 years now. Competition is high for engineers currently, so wages and opportunities reflect this demand, how long it will last, who knows, but make hay whilst the sun shines!

I have friends who work for consultancies, F1, tier 1 suppliers and OEMs, I think those who work for the OEM have the better deal financially for sure, probably the most security too. It is awesome to be able to drive nice cars, tell people you’re working on Hamilton’s latest engine/chassis etc – but none of that pays the mortgage, and if it doesn’t make you happy, isn’t worth much. I have found the people you work with to be far more important than the product, I’m lucky as I currently have an awesome boss, who is far too intelligent, and I can’t bull shit, learn lots, wide variety of work too. I also have the novelty of being able to annoy Andy at work with one of our advanced engineering projects, as it’s rare our paths would usually cross.

Conclusion- Find an OEM willing to fund you through a HND/Degree.

Pete

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:33 pm »
Pretty much everything tbh, graduate schemes mostly. From where Robin works at Bentley doing a Manufacturing Scheme to Fords Engine development and Mclarens Road section Aerodynamycist. Not having much luck mind, looking to move south though!

I'm assuming you've inquired at the AMRC on the parkway Tom?

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:31 pm »
Out of interest Pete do you get many people with research backgrounds, say in physics working in your field?