Author Topic: high reving at idle?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline VEEDUB89

• Members
high reving at idle?
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »
hi guys, just a quick one, my car is idling really high, when not in gear it's at a steady 2000rpm! when changing gear it revs itself aswell what could be causing this?

not sure if related and causing the problem but whoever fitted the 4 branch to the car didn't fit the lambda sensor to the exhaust so (i kid you not) it is hanging around in the engine bay....

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: high reving at idle?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »
Have you adjusted the idle screw?

Offline VEEDUB89

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:29:45 am »
i personally haven't might give it a try but sometimes it's fine :s

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:03:28 am »
i have the same problem with my gt pal, try adjusting the idle screw and see if it works, but mine was cutting out on tap of the accelerator after adjusting the screw to lower the rpm. is the distributor timing correct? it could be the idle control valve aswell as they seem to be naff on the polos! im sure i bookmarked a post on here about idle control, i'll try finding it for you :)

Offline VEEDUB89

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:17 am »
so no thoughts on if the lambda is effecting it?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:31:44 am »
I wouldn't be thinking of anything else before I had the lambda fitted. You're risking a world of problems with over-fuelling/ bore wash being the one that comes to mind immediately.
Sticking throttle, air leaks might be part of the problem. A squirt of carb cleaner into the ISV sometimes does the trick.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »
What u describe sounds like an air leak afther the throttle, u may wanna check your plemum for leaks. That means check ur manifold gaskets and maybe ur injectors, if they sit right and seal!

Offline VEEDUB89

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
in reply to the lambda thoughts.... i put my foot down earlier and a BIG cloud of smoke came out...

but yeh ^ i'll have a scan over the engine bay tomorrow and see if i can find a leak