Author Topic: audi a1 supercharger for g40?  (Read 7832 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: audi a1 supercharger for g40?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:13:18 am »
Yeah but mk1 golfs are the same weight as a polo and mk2 was only 950kg i mean in modern cars. The average golf now a days probably weighs nearer 1500kg!!

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:04 am »
Talking about small boosted engines Cateham are using a approx. 600cc Suzuki motor with a turbo now...

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:24 am »
Talking about small boosted engines Cateham are using a approx. 600cc Suzuki motor with a turbo now...

the 600cc engines produce quite a bit even in na form!
Did anyone watch the recent top gear? I wasnt aware formula 1 cars are only 1.6 litre!?!! Hows that even possible?

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »

the 600cc engines produce quite a bit even in na form!
Did anyone watch the recent top gear? I wasnt aware formula 1 cars are only 1.6 litre!?!! Hows that even possible?

In the 80's they were 1.5 litre with 1000bhp+...amazing what mad boost and high RPM will do!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »
That was a Good read jezza!

Ah tav, you reminded me. Ages i remember one of the master techs at bmw saying the e30 m3 engine was based on a 4cyl 1000 racing engine. Thats why all the other big litre e30's are straight six, but yet the hardcore m3's had straight 4's

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »
What variants are there for the 1.4 turbo supercharged lump? I've driven the Ibiza Bocanegra as I was going to chop my Cupra diesel in for one, "the brakes were shit" and "it couldn't pull your pants down, let alone away from anything else" is mainly what I remember, on top of no feedback. This was only 3-4 months on from coming from a G40 to an ibiza Cupra diesel (I also thought my car was shit compared to a G40- except the brakes, but they are a PITA £2k AP racing setup).

I think it's maybe exciting for someone that hasn't driven a poky hatch before but I'd hardly say it felt overwhelming in my experience of that 1 sample. Could have been a shitter mind! Defo had the turbo and supercharger as I made a big thing about wanting to try one to the salesmen. Felt really let down when I had a go. Like meeting your idol and finding they're a nob. A real let down :(

Also, don't forget boost pressure isn't the same as the flow rate. If it's like for like then fair enough but the differing resistance of intakes, pipework, etc on the 1.4TSI engine could be very different to a G40! so at the same point it "makes 10psi on a TSI" it could be....say....8psi on the polo, or 12 psi or whatever...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:22:53 pm by ereeiz »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 07:47:49 pm »
I think once youve driven a modified g40. There isnt much else on the market for that value that gives you that raw mental fast feel you get
Even e90 m3's seem slow (obviously they arnt) compared to the G they just feel refined, taken away, heavy and cumbersome

Yeah true. You need one of those graphs that tells you air output to revolutions, foubd one for the m45

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:43 pm »
I have a Golf TSI that have spent most of this year rebuilding and fixing. These are pretty complex engines!

The supercharger is small as you say but the gearing inside allows it to spin 5 times the speed of the engine (but remember it cuts it out at 3500RPM) so actually only ever spins to 17,500RPM.

The supercharger actually pushes the turbo when the engine gas flow can't, essentially it's pushing the turbo up to speed until the exhaust gasses are enough to push the turbo by itself. when the supercharger is boosting the actual manifold pressure gets upto 2.5 bar! yet when the turbo takes over it will generally be around 2 bar (but shifting more air).

The way this engine works would put me off trying to build a twin charge engine ever! it is very complex and has so many sensors to control when it boosts and when the super charger shuts over. not to mention flaps that direct the air depending on the boost air requirements (turbo or supercharger), then you have the mechanical aspect of the supercharger shut off which is controlled by an electro magnetic pulley on the water pump. There are also some flaps in the fuel rail part of the manifold which open and close depending on the torque requirements (controlled by manifold pressure/vacuum). There are three inlet manifold pressure senders for example.

Then you have mapping which is just a bloody nightmare! if you have a slight issue with the engine it can control wether or not to switch the supercharger on at all! then the wastegate is controlled via the ECU so it can also shut off the boost altogether.

Before you ask yes I have had issues with the electrics and its been a nightmare to diagnose and the VAG Com diagnosis is useless! So the G40 is a brilliant engine, charge air goes in, fuel goes in exhaust comes out simple!

The TSI is a great engine....when it works, the G40 engine is so much better in my opinion (old school all the way) forget this complex sensors everywhere and ECU having full control. Just cram the air in and fuel to the correct measure and away you should go :-)

The TSI engine is the closest they have come to the G40 equivalent and has potential for lots of power but they made some simple mistakes with this engine.
I think the cost of such an engine has become so much they have now made more efficient turbos that can spin up quickly and through the rev range meaning most TSI golfs these days are single charged.

G40 is still a more full drive :-)