Author Topic: Swap my renault 5 turbo for g40?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline jox

• Members
Swap my renault 5 turbo for g40?
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:21:59 pm »
hello everyone.

I have been offerd a swap a mint polo g40 for my renault 5 gt turbo my 5 is in very good condition and has dynod 140bhp.
Iv always been a vw fan iv owned a mk2 golf 8v and 16v and wouldent mind getting back into my dubs. i know my gtt is quicker than the polo but i reckon the polo has a better engine as its vw its going to be solid and more reliable and i should think the powerr delivery is nicer and smoother, one thing im intrested in is tuning and the price. tuning a gtt is easy and pretty cheap what options are avalible for the g40? id like to take it to around 140bhp.i know nothing of superchargers can you get more powefull ones like  a bigger turbo.also people experiance of driving them do they feel quick?.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Swap my renault 5 turbo for g40?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:30 pm »
you will get a g40 to 140bhp very very easily.  mine has the restrictors removed from the throttle and air box a decat and a ported charger and mine was recorded at 130 just after a rebuild with new bearings.  thats nothing in terms of tuning.  some toothed pullies and a chip on that will easily hit 140+

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:09:31 pm »
G40s are fine until you start molesting them.

You could probably reach 150bhp on less than £1k quite easily from a standard car.

I would only concider swapping for the potential financial gain. However this would mean keeping the car standard and looking after it.

Running a g40 is very expensive, especially as a daily driver. The fact its not a Ronald 5 it makes it so much better than a r5 and other conventional hot hatches.

Suppose the real question is - what do you want from your car?

Offline jox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
i want a fun and quick car, im not into modding asin chaging the cars looks the only mods i would do would be engine suspension and brakes and bbs wheels, im the same with my 5 too manny have being ruind by max power boys.

what do you mean by expensive to run do you mean fuel wise or maintainence?

how much do the eaton chargers go for?  isit possible to fit an eaton charger  with a fitting kit with uprated intercooler on a standard g40 will i need g60 injectors? would there be anything else i need after that?

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:42:49 pm »
I have a G40 with circa. 130bhp, this is considered lightly tuned and can be got for about £150 in parts plus a charger service (£500). My mate has a R5 GTT with stock power so I have been in both. The G40 will feel more of a car, less tinny but won't handle as well. The running cost will be about the same except the charger servicing costs, Parts for the G will cost more but will it will be more reliable (in my experiance). Fuel costs will the same, 'cos both drink when driven hard.

Ultimatley you can get more power out of the 5 but a G-lader (stock charger) will always give a more urgent power delivery. unfortunatly the G-lader becomes restrictive at about 160 Bhp although some have been pushed to 190!

An eaton / lysholme conversion will give more Bhp (circa. 200 Bhp) but have their own problems and need to be reved to deliver the power. For big power (170 - 210Bhp) the favored route is a turbo conversion (budget £2k), or a 1.5ltr engine with G60 charger! A limiting facor on the G is the gearbox which will strugle to take constant 200Bhp abuse.

From what you say you need to try a G out and see if the instant torque delivery is more addictive than the chuckability of your 5. tell everybody where you live and see if somebody local will take you our in a lightly tuned G.

Me?..

I'm G through and through!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:20:44 am »
It's that urgent power delivery which always sells it for me - I've driven a fair few faster cars through work but few things can match that electrifying forward thrust, the swell of power you get on full throttle, from a G40. And mine's only lightly breathed on - 150bhp or thereabouts. Road tax is £115 per year and if you've got a lot of restraint it's not that difficult to get near 40mpg out of even a tuned one.

To be honest though I wouldn't want to run either a G40 or a R5GTT as a daily any more. I love my car when I'm in the mood for it, but crawling through traffic in heavy rain I'd far sooner be in my Passat.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »
 Well i have to say that i`ve only got a G40 Engine & Charger with all the
 Bits needed to convert my 1Ltr Genesis and i wouldn`t swop the Charger
 for your Ronald 5. Soz ;D

I used to get a lift to work with a guy who owned a Renault 5 turbo and
 to be fair it went well but it used to bounce round corners and was Tinny
 as ferk + the guy couldn`t see further than the end of his nose & he was
 always late so we`d go much faster than we should in built up area`s
 making it very scary at times.
 How the hell i never put his passenger floor thru with pressing down
 imaginary brakes i`ll never know and the icing on the cake came when
 we stopped at some traffic lights with 3 cars in front of us and the Loony
 Twat shouted -No, Wer`e gonna be late and he sped round the three
 cars and out thru the Traffic lighted crossroads missing the 1st car from
 the right side by i swear an inch and sped off down the road toward work.
 When we arrived at work and thankfully 800 yard from the lights and got
 out the car i walked round to his side and put him over his bonnet by the
 scruff of his face and said- How dare you put my life in danger like that
 just because you can`t get your ass outa bed.
 I felt a bit bad bout it as i bloodied his nose from gripping his face but
 after several folk who saw my actions said they`d have beat him up i
 kinda didn`t feel so bad.

Consiquently i caught the bus till i got a decent mountain bike to cycle
 the 5.17 miles to work wich i did for 3 year solid till the firm went bust
 in the Last Recession.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:27:05 pm by friedberger »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
If you wanna go eaton, you may have problems sourcing a decent mount for the charger.

PSD made afew kits and are hold to get hold of and AWT did a kit although the secureness of the charger is questionable.

juan

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:22:36 pm »
PSD made afew kits and are hold to get hold of and AWT did a kit although the secureness of the charger is questionable.

I should be putting the psd eaton kit back into production soon, alas with some differences as i will be changing the pulley situation so that the size of pulley can be changed cheaply and easily.  ;D

(I have permission from steve to recreate the brackets and the other bits used in the conversion are pretty generic anway)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:24:49 pm by juan »